Bird band Date question

Redemption

Chirping
Apr 13, 2021
Out of curiosity, a bird with a tag that shoes a date code of 91......thoughts? Ive located the club but before I contact them im just trying to understand why. This is a solid metal band not a snap band.

Out of curiosity, a bird with a tag that shoes a date code of 91......thoughts? Ive located the club but before I contact them im just trying to understand why. This is a solid metal band not a snap band.
My thought is someone used an old band they had around maybe bc they didn't have any of the current year. As a banded bird it would be eligible to compete in old bird races this year.

I have heard of a 20 year old ringneck dove but never a 30 year old pigeon. Lol

My thought is someone used an old band they had around maybe bc they didn't have any of the current year. As a banded bird it would be eligible to compete in old bird races this year.

I have heard of a 20 year old ringneck dove but never a 30 year old pigeon. Lol

couldnt say I would be able to tell the difference between a dove and a pigeon. I have a very specific use for mine, but its been suggested I get involved with racing pigeons....still mulling that over..

Club code is CPRC which best i can tell is California Performance Roller Club... date code is 91 though. Looked up the owner of the club by his phone number, shows hes 80 this year. I have ten bucks into buying it so if I give it up to its owner its not exactly going to wretch my wallet.

Would a picture of the bird help?

I am going to ask a stupid question... It is 91, not 19? If so, the fancier banded a bird with an old band. In roller competions, the birds age is irrelevant so there is no accountability as far as correct band year to correct age of birds. If it were a homer, who had a racing career, a correct band year is important.
Would a picture of the bird help?
yes. I know it isn't 30 years old, but it could always help with other things regarding the band.

I am going to ask a stupid question... It is 91, not 19? If so, the fancier banded a bird with an old band. In roller competions, the birds age is irrelevant so there is no accountability as far as correct band year to correct age of birds. If it were a homer, who had a racing career, a correct band year is important.

yes. I know it isn't 30 years old, but it could always help with other things regarding the band.

Im pretty sure its CPRC 91 (Reg number) Couldnt be 19, I could be reading it upside down I guess and it could be 16 Ill get a picture of the band here in a moment. Did a lot of searching online and it seems the club is or was ran by a man named Jerry Higgins. Numbers disconnected, email is no good that I was able to find online.

I did however find a bird claiming to be a Jerry Higgins Roller with a starting bid of $350 a few min ago on Rollerbid dot com.... anyway heres some pics.

PXL_20210419_022646411.jpg

PXL_20210419_022553035.jpg

PXL_20210419_022618589.jpg

Jerry higgens is a big time pigeon guy. Up there with James Turner in my opinion. Pretty bird, but definitely not 30 years old!
No Shit! didnt know that!! so I may have purchased a valuable bird for $10?

The number is Def 91 heres a few pics of the band.

PXL_20210419_030003784.jpg

^^^^ Definitely a 91

PXL_20210419_030015498.jpg

Tag Reads CPRC The only information I can find on that tag anywhere is a site that gives me California Performing Roller Club ran by a man Named Jerry Higgins. A search of the disconnected number brings me to the name Jerry Kolan Higgins.....Thoughts?

Attachments

• c7fe330e0964d12a4a884e61a90aebc8.png
    c7fe330e0964d12a4a884e61a90aebc8.png
    56.3 KB · Views: 6
So Jerry Higgins, or Jerry Kolan Higgins, also goes by Jerry R Higgins.

Birmroller.... That a company name?

Birmroller is short for Birmingham roller... the breed of pigeon that the club is associated with. What you have is a pigeon that was banded with an old band (very old). At this point, it could have been banded by anyone who was in possession of the band. It doesn't mean it was a band of Jerry's... it could have been any member from the club at that time. It's just a band so it doesn't mean the bird is very valuable. Performance and results of breeding would set the birds worth for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom