Bird Dog with laying chickens how will they be effected

dvdbuchholz

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 15, 2014
Ok so we currently have for chicks under the heat lamp, and haven't been introduced to the 3 dogs I have. I have two wolf hybrids that one was buddies with a parrot we used to have. And the other too prissy, but my bird dog she is the concern birds are what she lives for. She won't kill them unless they have a heart attack. But she will be harassing them non stop when it comes times to put them in the chicken tractor. To have effective layers how much distance and how little contact do they need. Oddly enough I have had more experience with more exotic birds than I do with chickens. I know how to fatten them up and butcher them but never have had egg layers. The hunter is very soft mouthed and physically harmless I'm just concerned about the stress her presence might pose giving us useless birds. The chicken tractor we are putting the finishing touches will create a solid barrier.
(I hope to post pictures after it's done).

Please keep your complaints about wolfdogs to yourself one has served our country which is more than I can say for most people and I have raised 3 children with them and getting ready to do a fourth.

Also are sunflowers to fatty to mix into their feed once a week? Can they even eat sunflower seeds?

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

I don't doubt your knowledge of your own wolf/dogs. Answering posts on here at least 50% start with my dog or cat,or neighbors pets killed all our chicks. Which is why I usually tell people to keep dogs/cats away from their chickens.

Some dogs and cats do love the chicks but, their constant licking and fussing can stress chicks to death quite literally, despite how gentle their attentions are. I think grown birds would deal with it by pecking or attacking the animal to teach them to back off.

I think laying hens could get accustomed to dogs going by if they don't rush the fence or bark. Chickens do react to stress (new move, etc) by going off their laying schedule until they feel secure again.

Possibly responders after me will offer other opinions. Welcome to BYC

images

Welcome to BYC!

Chickens by nature are afraid of all other animals. They are birds that are preyed upon. Chicks and chickens are even afraid of humans until they are sure they are to be trusted. Most dogs see birds as dinner. So all this being said, I personally would not stress the chickens out with dogs around and I would not let dogs around chickens unless they were mostly indifferent to them...docile enough to barely pay attention to them.

Good luck with all your adventures and welcome to our flock!

I have a 7 year old shepherd lab mix, a min-pin, and 3 cats and they exist perfectly with my chicks, chickens, pigs, goats, and rabbits (only because they can't get at the rabbits). If my chickens do get stressed from weather or me cleaning their coop they will not lay the next day but then resume as normal. Could you give your dog's boundaries around the chicken tractor? I would think that if the tractor is secure the dogs will loose interest after a while. I guess you'll know when you get the chickens out in their tractor.
I had a wolf malamute cross, best dog ever very child friendly she is sadly missed but lived 17 wonderful years. Good luck.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! If your tractor is -really- secure and the dog is just circling the perimeter occasionally (and not bouncing around on top of the tractor or making a fuss trying to get in) the chickens will get used to it pretty quickly, they do understand the concept of a fence in some way and that the dog can't get them... chickens that are loose will often feed right beside a dog pen where there are dogs telling them that they would love to turn them into dinner. The main thing that would concern me is it is pretty hard to make a tractor really dog proof, especially if it is your own dog that will have a lot of time to figure out a way in.
Black Oil Sunflower Seeds (BOSS) is a good treat for chickens, a lot of people feed them in the winter especially... just like any other treat feed in moderation, they usually recommend treats being 10-15% of the diet if you are feeding a commercial food so you don't unbalance it to much.

Thank you kelsie that was exactly the answer I was hoping. They were around a quaker parrot and the only issue we had was the bird loved the attention and acted like he couldn't stand it but I took the dog I'm concerned about hunting she didn't pay him any attention. My bird went and harassed her. I was just concerned cuz the hunting dog just barks and tries to get them to flush and looks at me like an idiot cuz I didn't shoot at them weather or not I have a gun in my hands.

Ya with exception of the collie shepard mix I had as a kid the my wolf lab crosses are turning out to be faithful trustworthy dogs far as aggression (food on the table and the trash on the other hand not so much) but they have a streak about them where they want to wander.

Back
Top Bottom