Bird flu 2016-2017 in Great Britain

dorset33

In the Brooder
Jan 5, 2017
Since the implementation of the Country wide Bird Flu "Prevention Zone" of December 6th 2015, (which was for 30 days). I have housed my 8 "hens", in my 6ft diameter octagonal green house (abandoning my tender plants to the weather). This has proved to be almost impossible to keep clean and sanitary, also the lack of things to occupy the girls.
It was therefore a really big shock that the government have now extended the Prevention Zone until 28th February 2017, (another 55 days). I cannot see how they can stay in this environment and remain healthy.
So if anybody has any ideas/or having the same problems, it would be most appreciated to hear from you.
Many thanks

Sorry. the date of the Government order was 6th December 2016, not 6th December 2015

Since the implementation of the Country wide Bird Flu "Prevention Zone" of December 6th 2015, (which was for 30 days). I have housed my 8 "hens", in my 6ft diameter octagonal green house (abandoning my tender plants to the weather). This has proved to be almost impossible to keep clean and sanitary, also the lack of things to occupy the girls.
It was therefore a really big shock that the government have now extended the Prevention Zone until 28th February 2017, (another 55 days). I cannot see how they can stay in this environment and remain healthy.
So if anybody has any ideas/or having the same problems, it would be most appreciated to hear from you.
Many thanks

Hi

To be honest I kept mine totally enclosed for less than a week. I have 6: 2 marans, 1 white leghorn and 3 black silkies (2 miniature). The big girls were attacking the silkies and as the biggies were ex batts. I couldn't reconcile incarcerating them again. Obviously, I didn't want the silkies injured either.

What I have done is turn my garden into a warren of runs using tarpaulin and windbreakers etc. I have also bought a 3 x 6 polytunnel. I put the food and water under cover and am just hoping for the best. Even housing indoors cannot stop wild birds so I think the mental health of hens is more important.

Hanging veg up and bottles of food with holes in is really good for boredom busting.

Look at the forum as there is a site 'is anyone locking up for avian flu' that you might find useful.

Hope this helps

Hello
Thanks for reply, and the tips, i have just seen a clip of a childs xylophone screwed to a chicken hut wall. The girls very curious, and even got a tune out of it.
Once again thanks for the tips
Pete. dorset33

Back
Top Bottom