Bird flu in MO. What to do?

RDchicken99

Omelette Connoisseur
Premium Feather Member
Mar 14, 2021
SW Missouri
Hello BYC! Bird Flu was recently found in SE Missouri, and I was wondering what some preventative measures might be. I’m going to do a coop clean out either tomorrow or Wednesday, to make sure it’s a bit more hygienic in there, in case of harboring bacteria. Does anyone have any other measures for their feeders and water? I’m going to add ACV to their water, make sure they are free ranging often for fresh air. We we’re also going to get some quail, but I’m very unsure about it now. The only thing about free ranging is that we have a bird feeder out in the yard, which occasionally gets starlings on it. The other birds are just our local birds but I don’t know what to do with the starlings. Should I fence off the bird feeder? Just so they aren’t scratching around in the poo? Thanks.

Hello BYC! Bird Flu was recently found in SE Missouri, and I was wondering what some preventative measures might be. I’m going to do a coop clean out either tomorrow or Wednesday, to make sure it’s a bit more hygienic in there, in case of harboring bacteria. Does anyone have any other measures for their feeders and water? I’m going to add ACV to their water, make sure they are free ranging often for fresh air. We we’re also going to get some quail, but I’m very unsure about it now. The only thing about free ranging is that we have a bird feeder out in the yard, which occasionally gets starlings on it. The other birds are just our local birds but I don’t know what to do with the starlings. Should I fence off the bird feeder? Just so they aren’t scratching around in the poo? Thanks.
You'll probably find this thread useful.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/avian-influenza-found-in-south-carolina.1507893/

Fresh air is great for helping keep them healthy but free ranging also could increase the chance of them getting it since they are outback where a flying bird could drop droppings and you’re chickens could get in it, thus increasing the chances of sickness. I have had some crows hanging around that I don’t like-they are coming for the food I keep in the middle of the run. It might be nice to keep any food and water in the coop so it’s more protected from wild birds.

The bulletin from the state of MO I received, asked us all to keep our birds inside. I think they were asking to keep them inside till May 4th, but don't quote me on that. I remember thinking I can keep them inside MORE, but not completely for months at a time. As a human doctor, I need to read up more on this disease. It hasn't been limited to commercial flocks, but the first few places in MO that got it were commercial, as I recall. I've been supplementing my feed with Vitamin E and a mineral mix that contains zinc and selenium, 2-3 times a wk. Having them in top condition seems like a smart thing to do.

Check out that other thread; lots of info and discussion there.

Really, what I've heard is to keep the birds inside, which doesn't mean just in their coop. I have a good sized run (20 sf/bird) with a solid roof on part and a tarp on part. My birds do not go outside of their run.

The other "big hazard" is bringing the virus in on your shoes. Or someone else bringing it in on their vehicle tires, and you tracking it into the run. A dedicated pair of coop/run shoes is a good idea. A way to wash them off, or storing them so that they only are worn in the coop/run is advisable too.

Well, I'm lucky to have predator proofed stalls for my ducks, so "inside" for me is different. If mine go outside, they have a movable walk in run and it's only partially covered. There's no real way to guarantee no other bird has been in the area the pen is moved to. And with ducks, it's a horrific mess to keep them anywhere permanent LOL

I understand they need to recommend what they feel will stop the spread of the disease, But realistically there's very few people who understand real biosecurity. And surely the commercial flocks that got cases of it were practicing biosecurity? It makes me wonder if things like mice may be aiding the spread of this disease, even if they aren't susceptible.

Back
Top Bottom