Bird Flu ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by conquest780, Feb 14, 2014.

1. conquest780

conquest780 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2013
    Well i bought 3 polish chickens and two died . The only symptom I saw was that they were sneezing. Now all of chicken are also sneezing. I hope its not bird flu. help before its too late!!!!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are the chickens? Infectious bronchitis, a virus, can affect 100% of the flock, and sneezing may be the most common symptom. It usually doesn't kill older birds, but young chicks can really be affected. Here is a list of common respiratory diseases, including avian flu, and symptoms: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    I have a broody chicken with babies and they are fine but the older chicken are the one getting infected!!!! The sneezing is like screaming and then their voice goes down. They are more like screaming than sneezing.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is there any bloody mucus that is coming from the nose or mouth? They may sling it around. That would be a sign of ILT which is a virus and pretty serious. If not, then I would guess that you have infectious bronchitis. It usually runs it's course in 4-5 weeks, unless secondary infections happen.

5. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    Yes, there is bloody mucus coming from the mouth. One chicken which I cared since it was a chick just died in front of my eyes. Two of my older chicken ( black cochin, sebright) are also infected. A broody chicken which had 4 babies now has two left.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Avian influenza can also cause bleeding from mouth and nose. You may want to get your chickens tested. I would recommend culling birds with ILT, and disinfecting your premises. ILT will last in the environment for 6 weeks or more, so wait before getting more chickens. I'm sorry about your birds. It is a reportable disease in some places. Here is a good link about ILT: http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/pou..._infectious_laryngotracheitis_in_poultry.html

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  8. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    All chickens dead. I am very sad. Going to buy more chicken next week. Will disinfect their cages and their free ranging area.

9. conquest780

Mar 5, 2013
    How do I disinfect the whole area? I have one chicken left and going to get more on Saturday. Don't want to get them sick.

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss. If you had ILT or infectious laryngotracheitis, it can stay in the environment for 6 weeks after cleaning and disinfecting the area with common disinfectants, especially if there is frozen manure. The soil cannot be disinfected. Droppings should be cleaned up. But I wouldn't recommend getting more chickens for at least 2 months. If you live in a warm environment this time of year, it may not be necessary to wait that long. The commercial disinfectants like oxine and others including 10% bleach should be enought to disinfect the coop and equipment.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by