Bird Identification / Banding Question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KAKBucks, Jun 29, 2008.

1. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    I want to keep track of individual and groups of birds in my flock. I have a number of breeds and lots of chicks.

What systems do you use to ID your birds, from chicks to adults?

I've gotten some elastic type colored bands for the chicks, which is great for marking a group of birds (they all get the same color on the same leg) and I can switch them to larger bands as they get older, but it's going to get really complicated when I want to keep track of individual chicks for breeding purposes and such.

I've seen numbered bands, but I didn't know if they make them for chick sizes, what sizes to use, etc. I'd definitely prefer plastic over metal bands.

If you could share your system, what size and style of bands you use, and where you get them I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much!!!

Kendra

2. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    When I was keeping track (like I had some from one specific breeder, some for myself, etc.), I would get the numbered bandettes. I'd use one color for the other breeders and one color for mine. I'd keep a journal and would update regularly.

For instance, mine were silkies
    Yellow-
    56, 5 toes, okay foot feathering
    57, 5 toes, exceptional foot feather, large vault

Orange
    78, clear color, okay foot feathering
    79, poor toe space, good foot feathering

Etc., etc. That was if I decided to down size, I would know which ones showed good possibilities from the beginning and might hold on to them longer.

They do have small bandettes for various sizes. I had a hard time finding many on-line, but thankfully a place locally has some.

Best wishes!

3. KAKBucks

KAKBucks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Do they make numbered bands for chicks that you can upgrade as they grow?

Anyone know where to find them?

4. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    Yup. Google bandettes and/or numbered bandettes. That's what I'm referring to.

5. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Toe_Punch_Chart.html
    A
    toe punch can be bought at any poultry supply company for around $3.00..then when older you can band them with a permanent band, I use the Atlas sealed bands, these come in 6 colors and are numbered cost about $7.00/100 with name or initial around $24.00/100 Pliers to aply them are around 18 bucksl..just an idea

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I used to use leg bands, and would change color every year so I would know by looking at the color how old the bird was. However, sometimes, the bands fall off, or break off as they get old, and you have to keep changing the bands out if you want to band from day old.

Now, what I do, is use colored pipe cleaners on day olds, and just loosen them as they grow. After they get a month old, I wing band everyone. Those wing bands do not fall off and they are harder than heck to remove if you need to. I LOVE them! No worrying about the bird out growing them. Now, if I have to show them, I do add a leg band as well, but I always have the wing band for info.
    As I band, I write down the number and details about quality and so forth.

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I use leg bands. But, I'd say once a week a bird is able to pry them off. So they are not reliable.

I plan on going with wing bands in the future... however, I'm a pretty casual breeder and am not too terribly worried about ID'ing each bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by