Bird in nesting box at nightfall

sharonieoh

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2020
Portland, OR
One of my four almost-year-old hens was in the nesting box just now (twilight) when I went to shut them in for the night. This is highly unusual behavior for her -- she's always down with the others at this time, eagerly waiting for scratch.

She looked alert, but quite puffed up in the nesting box. I had noticed she was up there earlier today, later than she usually lays -- she did come down at some point, and then went back up to the box. Is this a sign that she may be eggbound?

Thanks for any advice or opinions you can pass along.

Sharon

She may be broooooody 😜
Okay, and now that I've done some googling... bingo!!! She's been pulling feathers from her chest and the eggs have been suspiciously warm every time I collect them. Like, all the eggs. 😂

No rooster, though, so she could be sitting on them a looooong time. Do I just let her? Or should I intervene somehow?

Okay, and now that I've done some googling... bingo!!! She's been pulling feathers from her chest and the eggs have been suspiciously warm every time I collect them. Like, all the eggs. 😂

No rooster, though, so she could be sitting on them a looooong time. Do I just let her? Or should I intervene somehow?
You'll need to break her unless you plan on giving her fertile eggs to break her I would put a wire dog crate on some bricks to lift it off of the ground and place her in it. She needs air flow to the belly. Leave her there s fee days. Once you remove her if she joins the flock then shes good but if she returns to the nesting box then back to the dog crate.

You'll need to break her unless you plan on giving her fertile eggs to break her I would put a wire dog crate on some bricks to lift it off of the ground and place her in it. She needs air flow to the belly. Leave her there s fee days. Once you remove her if she joins the flock then shes good but if she returns to the nesting box then back to the dog crate.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom