Bird Mites

If cats are around they can't handle it but yes generally it is very safe. Just use caution if you have cats in the area. I have used it successfully on my own flock.

Elector PSP is also a go to product for treating mites, lice and the coop. The OP used Elector PSP so it has me wondering what bug is actually there.
Thank You, most of the hens are good, but it seems a few of them are really bad!

Tonight after dark take a white paper towel and run it along under the roost. If it comes up with red streaks it's from squishing mites that have fed. Grey streaks are from mites heading to feed on sleeping birds.

Can you describe the inside of your coop?
Is it painted or plain wood?

When you treated the coop did you spray every nook and cranny really well?
Mites will hide in crevices during the day coming out to feed at dusk.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-133-32-oz
no more red mite problem.
non toxic do not get the 10%
get the 13.3 martins permethrin and mix it as directed . instructions comes with and easy to find on line. If its warm enough where you are, you can dip the birds.
spray everything, every crack, board, wall, ground, under, over, around.... I use it in the house for bugs. about the only warning was cats and puppies if i remember right. its in the instructions so...

Last edited:
Ok, so our coup is metal with wood perches and boxes, we sprayed every nook and crannie in there, plus all the surrounding runs and the extra rooster pens! we have about 40 birds, most are just fine, but about 10 of them are suffering! We did a clove oil natural spray first, then the elector psp 3 times, have not done the permethrin yet! That is a good idea to run the paper towel over the purchases, so if it is red, I have red mites?

Ok, so our coup is metal with wood perches and boxes, we sprayed every nook and crannie in there, plus all the surrounding runs and the extra rooster pens! we have about 40 birds, most are just fine, but about 10 of them are suffering! We did a clove oil natural spray first, then the elector psp 3 times, have not done the permethrin yet! That is a good idea to run the paper towel over the purchases, so if it is red, I have red mites?
perches LOL

Red streaks or grey streaks mean mites are feeding on roosting birds and living in the nooks and crannies. It helps identify what kind of pest you are dealing with and helps narrow down how to treat it.

When you treated the coops did you remove ALL the bedding and get rid of it far away or by burning?

Back
Top Bottom