Bird Mites

Reading a recent thread from a member who also used Elector and it didn't work.
Link to that thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-dying-from-mite-infestation-help.1557160/

With that information it may be goid to treat with permetherin 10. Some pests become super pests if a treatment is survived. They pass that on to their offspring. I would try doing a different compound once we figure out what bug it actually is.
agree their life cycle gives them the upper hand! I will do the permethrin tomorrow and do the paper towel test!

and yes, we did a burn! But we did not burn laying boxes, so maybe that is going to have to be the next step, last time the boxes got sprayed with the elector psp

and yes, we did a burn! But we did not burn laying boxes, so maybe that is going to have to be the next step, last time the boxes got sprayed with the elector psp

Spraying the boxes should be sufficient.

Did you treat every single bird in the flock? If not some may have been hiding on the birds not getting treated....or they had egg clusters. :sick

i spray my nest boxes once a month/when i change bedding. All the pine shaving in the box gets dumped on the floor, i spray the box, put in new shavings and a light spray. Mites come in on the new bedding , they get zapped. The Bird sits on a treated nest and life is good.
I spray 13.3 all around the outside of the coop a few times a year for fly control. It works for weeks at a time in the summer fly season. Thats is where i read about 13.3 permethrin, fly control in horse stables. Non toxic fly, lice mite control...

Yes, we sprayed every bird, we put them in a separate area, so we knew who had got the medicine, that was with the clove and the elector psp!
Oh my gosh! I am with you. I have been in the fight of my life for 4 weeks now. I too have had some come in the house on me and the dogs. They fricking bite!
At this point I'm having nightmares about mites. I have thrown the kitchen sink at these suckers, but they are still not gone.
-Burnt everything twice now 9x16 coop & 36x16 open hardy mesh roofed enclosure
-Pyrethrin spray every 5 days - roosts/walls/boxes -just ordered the 13.3 moving to that next
- Dust pyrethrin boxes/birds/bedding weekly
- Pour on Ivermectin 3rd dose this weekend
-100% Sulpher / wood ash in bedding and in the enclosure
-Electoral PSP this past Saturday - on coop/roosts/boxes
When I tell you my enclosure and coop are well kept, it is true. I have never had to deal with this before. I fought mice this winter, but I stayed on top of them. All I can think of is, they were the chink in my armor.
I'm losing my mind. The chooks look better, but they still have bugs. I find just a couple on eggs each evening.
Brutal

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/control-solutions-permethrin-133-32-oz
no more red mite problem.
non toxic do not get the 10%
get the 13.3 martins permethrin and mix it as directed . instructions comes with and easy to find on line. If its warm enough where you are, you can dip the birds.
spray everything, every crack, board, wall, ground, under, over, around.... I use it in the house for bugs. about the only warning was cats and puppies if i remember right. its in the instructions so...
does using permethrin require a respite from consuming eggs

Back
Top Bottom