Bird Netting + snow = bad idea

I have had bird netting stretched over my run for 4 years, and it has held up to snow, ice, even small branches falling on it and my cat walking on it. It is not sloped, it kind of sags. At the widest, it's stretched 25' and is attached to 5' high cattle panels with zip ties. With a heavy load it sags a lot, but bounces back after I knock it off. One year a big branch fell and tore it, but I repaired the tear with zip ties.

:barnie We just put up bird netting!!! It definitely snows here!!! :barnie Do you think it will make a difference that the holes are 2.5"? Maybe the snow will just go through it? We weren't trying to keep small birds out, just the eagles. Now I think we'll be having a very busy day on snow day, and it wont be because we're building a snowman. :he

:barnie We just put up bird netting!!! It definitely snows here!!! :barnie Do you think it will make a difference that the holes are 2.5"? Maybe the snow will just go through it? We weren't trying to keep small birds out, just the eagles. Now I think we'll be having a very busy day on snow day, and it wont be because we're building a snowman. :he
Maybe you still will be! Gotta do something with all that snow you gotta pull out the run...:celebrate

I have had bird netting stretched over my run for 4 years, and it has held up to snow, ice, even small branches falling on it and my cat walking on it. It is not sloped, it kind of sags. At the widest, it's stretched 25' and is attached to 5' high cattle panels with zip ties. With a heavy load it sags a lot, but bounces back after I knock it off. One year a big branch fell and tore it, but I repaired the tear with zip ties.
Just regular old netting from the hardware store? Weve got some 1" bird netting from homedepot. We used it on the greenhouse for doors to keep birds out

You bring up a really good point. As long as the netting is able to hold the weight of the snow the more it's stretched the less it will deform. Also, the stronger the supporting posts are the less they will be pulled inward causing everything to collapse. Maybe some simple guy wires or rope can be used to keep them from pulling inward.

I don't pull it out, I just make pathways. I could pile it up and make a snowman for the hens, but they'd just climb all over it and destroy my hard work. :lau

Then make a snow-predator for them to climb on and destroy. Give them a sense of being towards the top of the food chain for once! And, you can tell yourself you're training your chickens in the lost art of chicken-fu, so you dont feel like it's a wasted effort.

Maybe even go so far as to play a karate movie scene in the background as you're watching?:lau

You bring up a really good point. As long as the netting is able to hold the weight of the snow the more it's stretched the less it will deform. Also, the stronger the supporting posts are the less they will be pulled inward causing everything to collapse. Maybe some simple guy wires or rope can be used to keep them from pulling inward.

Is there a way to use maybe some wooden or metal poles instead of PVC for support beams? I'd imagine the freezing temp makes it brittle and easy to break. And it shouldnt be too hard to attach to the OP's run:idunno

Then make a snow-predator for them to climb on and destroy. Give them a sense of being towards the top of the food chain for once! And, you can tell yourself you're training your chickens in the lost art of chicken-fu, so you dont feel like it's a wasted effort.

Maybe even go so far as to play a karate movie scene in the background as you're watching?:lau

Haha! Good idea!!!:lau

Is there a way to use maybe some wooden or metal poles instead of PVC for support beams? I'd imagine the freezing temp makes it brittle and easy to break. And it shouldnt be too hard to attach to the OP's run:idunno

We used PVC too. :th We did tie it off to the fence line on both sides. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom