Bird netting sufficient to deter hawks?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by heidinrob, Jun 23, 2011.

1. heidinrob

heidinrob Hatching

Mar 14, 2011
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Hello,
    Sadly, a week ago one of our girls disappeared during the middle of the day. No evidence of a struggle in the yard so we suspected a raptor, but we live in a suburban area and we haven't seen many hawks around. Sure enough, a Cooper's hawk landed on my fence this AM and peered down into the girls' dust bathing bin. Luckily it was chased off by a very angry small bird. Anyway, it would be easy to put bird netting over their free-ranging area which is approximately 14 x 50 feet long. Is that enough to keep out raptors? Thanks to anyone with any (unfortunate?)experience in this matter!
    Heidi

2. krissteff

krissteff Songster

May 2, 2011
    Tennessee
    It sure couldn't hurt!

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Crowing

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    No evidence of a struggle in the yard so we suspected a raptor,

Most Raptors are too small to carry off a grown chicken.

They generally start to pluck them as soon as they kill them, and normally leave a lot of feathers.​

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Crowing

Aug 12, 2009
    I had the bird netting up when I kept my chickens in a run.Only one time the hawk landed on the netting,and it was so loose the netting went to the ground,but it did not break. I would put it up loose to tangle the hawk.If it is tight the hawk will just break through it right away with the initial impact.

5. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Songster

I have netting over my turkey pen - it is like soccer goal netting. Since it has been up nothing has attacked from above. I have hawks, ealges and owls over head daily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by