1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

bird netting versus fishing line for calm chickens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CanadaEh, Aug 15, 2018.

1. CanadaEh

CanadaEh In the Brooder

May 31, 2018
    We have wild birds (seagulls, ospreys, crows, ravens) flying over - not interested (so far) in chickens in the 20'x25' run but freaking them out and making them hide under the coop (smart chickens). Sometimes the birds fly by as frequently as every few minutes.

While I had fishing line over the run in mind for protection from birds of prey, now I am thinking would 2"x2" cell bird netting instead make any difference in terms of how the chickens see or perceive potential threats in the sky? I.e. would they see less through the netting or understand they are protected from what is going on above the netting and thus freaking out less?

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I don't think netting will make the chickens feel safer (though it will make them safer). Mine still alert when something flies by and I have 2"x2" netting. A solid roof would be the only way to block them from being able to see flying predators.

Michael Stegall likes this.
  3. Kfults

Kfults Songster

Jun 12, 2018
    Southwest Louisiana
    I have bird netting over my 40x40 fenced yard but when they spot a jet flying over they run into their hardware cloth secure run! To them I guess it appears to be a bird of prey way up high.

4. Michael Stegall

Michael Stegall In the Brooder

Aug 12, 2018
    NW Georgia
    I agree if your worried about the stress they get from it and don't want your egg production to be affected I would just put a solid roof on it to make them happy. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: