Bird not roosting with others

Egiroux

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 5, 2011
Durham, ME
Hi, chicken newcomer and new member here. Just got my first 3 birds this weekend. It's clear who has declared herself the boss (jersey giant). One of the others, a gold comet, does not want to roost with the other two. She'll either try to stay in the floor or go on the lower roost alone. Should I place her on the top roost with the others or let her figure it out on her own? She seems happy and healthy otherwise when out in the run. I thought about getting another bird also, thinking an even number may give her a friend. Thanks in advance for any input.

She may be low chick in the pecking order or is it possible she is ill?

I'd leave her alone and let her work it out unless she's sick.

How old are they? My babies prefer to hang as a group on the floor. They eventually learn to roost on their own.

edited to fix smartphone error

Last edited:
I have 6 Black Australorps (5 hens 1 Roo) and 1 of them doesn't roost with the other 5. She is the runt. I'm going to move her with my 2 New Hampshire hens and she how she does. The NH's are a smaller breed so she should feel more comfortable. Although she is starting to grow more.

They're all about 17 weeks. I did notice her poop seems kinda runny, not normal looking. Could that be an indicator she is sick?

Yeah I'm guessing maybe it's stress and her obviously being lowest in the pecking order. I'll watch her to make sure she shows no other signs of something being wrong. With this whole pecking order thing does the queen settle down after a little while and do you think eventually she'll warm up to poor Rosie, the gold commet?

Quote:
My head pullet settled down once she started laying.
smile.png

I have 12 chickens. The two lowest on the pecking order didn't want to go into the coop until after all the others were nestled in for the night. The lowest pullet found and used my nesting boxes as a safe spot to sleep well before anyone started laying. Now that they are all laying, all the hens are roosting together with far fewer problems.

I can't say your girl isn't sick, but I do know that the bottom pecking order birds will manage to work it out eventually. I used to feel so sorry for that poor girl. I almost removed her from the flock, but kept telling myself all chickens have to work out the same 'kinks' when building a flock. Now I'm glad I kept out of it.

Love, Linn B (aka Smart Red) Gardening zone 5a - 4b in south-est, central-est Wisconsin

I pretty much leave my chickens alone and let them figure out all the social status stuff for themselves, although that can sometimes be difficult to do. They also have free rein over much of the property, so some sleep in the coop while others sleep on a shelving unit located on the patio and still others sleep on top of a cabinet also on the patio. Came home tonight and found one sleeping on the lid on the can where their food is stored. Plenty of room in the coop for them all to sleep there, but I guess they like to spread out some. The top of the cabinet seems to be prime real estate cause some nights there is a huge squabbling ruckus about who gets to sleep there and how many will fit, usually about six or seven.

I'd watch her for signs of illness, but otherwise I wouldn't interfere if she's not injured or sick. Hopefully things will work out socially.

I have a speckled sussex that will not roost with the rest because two of the barred rocks pick at her when she comes in at night. I have tried a few different things to fix this with no luck, mostly I have carried her back into the coop after dark. She'll stay in there after dark but roosts in the nesting boxes well away from those two. Tonight I put her with two single girls in a new coop, we'll see if she can make friends with them. Luckily, the weather here is still pretty nice, as usual, (hate me, go ahead...
smile.png
) but it does get to freezing several nights a year, so it would be nice if things would settle down with her and somebody to snuggle with.

Good luck with your odd bird, I guess it just happens sometimes. We love our "Football" so we'll keep her even if she sleeps alone.

Back
Top Bottom