bird sanctuary's cold shoulder routine?

winteree

Songster
6 Years
Apr 5, 2014
We wear cowboy hats here guess where?
So as one or two of you may know when i first wanted to get my birds i tried to go through a "local" bird sanctuary because i didn't like the idea of ordering life animals through the mail. For a little under 3 months i tried to get information how i was suppose to adopt then every two days or so for little over three months i gave them my name and phone number and no one ever got back to me. Of course i then ordered hatching eggs from Meyers but it really made me mad they have dozens of homeless chickens over there; i really wanted to help out and i was flat out ignored. Had anyone else had this problem with a sanctuary?

I know what you mean. My experience was with dogs. After my husband retired from the military, we bought a home on 7 acres, in the country, with lakefront. I heard about an Airedale rescue group in the area, and after inquiring was told I needed to fill out an application. I did. Boy was I surprised when I was DENIED. Why? Because I didn't have a fenced in yard. They wouldn't even discuss it with me. I was unworthy. Nothing else mattered. The fact that I had been raised with the breed, had a 10yr old Airedale that had traveled with us all over the US to include Alaska and even to Europe for one of our military assignments, all without a fenced in yard. Nope, no fence, no rescue.

Same happened to me with dogs. Was going to rescue a dog but my fence was deemed inadequate. (despite it holding my other 2 similarly sized dogs for the last 5 years.)

I understand them wanting to make sure the animal goes to a good home, but sometimes they take it so far I feel they're actually doing more harm than good.

I know what you mean. My experience was with dogs. After my husband retired from the military, we bought a home on 7 acres, in the country, with lakefront. I heard about an Airedale rescue group in the area, and after inquiring was told I needed to fill out an application. I did. Boy was I surprised when I was DENIED. Why? Because I didn't have a fenced in yard. They wouldn't even discuss it with me. I was unworthy. Nothing else mattered. The fact that I had been raised with the breed, had a 10yr old Airedale that had traveled with us all over the US to include Alaska and even to Europe for one of our military assignments, all without a fenced in yard. Nope, no fence, no rescue.
I hear the same thing over on the groomer forum about dog rescues. Most breed rescues won't adopt to people without fenced yards, who won't be home all day, kids under 12, etc. It's sad. Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

yeah i get that
sickbyc.gif
i mean a simple yes or no would have done just fine at least that way i could have started looking some where else
rant.gif

I have wanted to adopt from rescues several times. The ones in our area are SO expensive and so picky though. I feel like it defeats the purpose. I almost question whether these places are really trying to find homes for these animals... Or not... :/

Then I go on Craigslist and get a Beagle for $50. Lol. He didn't come with papers, but he is trained, past the puppy stage and appears to be pure bred. Gorgeous.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom