1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

bird seed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, Dec 17, 2008.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Is bird seed okay for chickens to eat? My chickens bring new meaning to the term "free range" [​IMG] and go way beyond where I'd like them to. They are not a year yet but are old enough to be on adult chicken food. As long as it isn't horrible for them I don't think I'll do much, I can't stop them from coming all the way over here (without clipping their wings, but these birds are for showing) so unless it is very bad for them I think I'll let them be.

2. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Mine eat it when some falls on the ground from birds or squirrels knock it off. And their fine. The roo gets all excited like he's found something.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008
  3. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I hope it's okay because my four Orpingtons and two silkies get a couple of handsful every day. I often wonder though if that might be the reason my 31-week-old Orpingtons are showing no signs of EVER laying an egg. Hmmmmm!

4. Gazinga

Gazinga Chook Norris

i know how you feel joe, but not as bad.
    My BOs are 25 weeks now and no eggs!

[​IMG]

5. swampwander

swampwander Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Mims, Fl
    Mine get whatever lands on the ground. They prefer the milo seed to anything else. But, I also have regular layer pellets available all the time.

6. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I should have said that mine also get all they want of layer pellets. Didn't mean for it to sound like bird seed was all that I was giving them. Mine get lots of different kinds of treats; that's not to say that they should; they just do; maybe I should stop.

7. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    i mix wild bird seed with scratch feed sometimes and my chickens love it.

8. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Okay thanks guys. I was just wondering if there was too much oils or fats or something else in it for the chickens. Thanks again.

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Wild bird seed varies widely from brand to brand.

I don't think that there are any standards on its sale and use. And, no real commitments on the part of the sellers either, probably.

Steve

Last edited: Dec 17, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by