Bird sellers are screwed this year.

I just sold 4 3wk old chicks for $60, and a 15 wk pullet for $20. The person who bought them had bought from me before, and came back because they liked the conditions of the coop and chicks. They said the last place they almost bought from kept the chickens in horrible conditions, and they were missing feathers. :(

I've got a return customer coming today for a couple of $25 two month old pullets.
Another return customer picking up a pullet and two hens tomorrow.
Went 4 months without selling a bird while TSC was selling chicks.

I always try to buy from commercial sellers because they sell SEXED chicks and I don't need more roosters! Raising sex links may boost your sales.

This year with the chick shortage I went to a local breeder that I knew and bought a broody with 3 chicks since I no longer had any broodies of my own. Then of course one of my own went broody for the first time 2 days later and hatched out 4 chicks of her own.

Now I am building a new rooster pen for the FOUR extra roos. I won't be buying unsexed chicks or hatching any for a very long time.

Yeah, sexed chicks are great. The hardest thing that I have to do is kill a rooster.
But I'm never content to do something that other people are doing.
I always have to put my own stank on it.

I noticed last year that sales of chicks and young birds were practically non-existent until Tractor Supply ended their Chick Days.
They're willing to take a loss on selling pullets for $2.99, in order to sell feed and other supplies.
So I inquired as to when Chick Days would end.
I was told that they will NOT end this year. They will run through September.
We buy their feed and supplies and they sabotage us.

I'm confused on how you would consider it sabotage

I'm confused on how you would consider it sabotage

Well, many people bought all their feed and fencing and feeders and waterers and other supplies from TSC, expecting to establish a little cottage industry for themselves. Things apparently vary in different regions as far as sales go but for me, I had few sales until TSC stopped selling chicks each Spring. Then after everyone is invested, they change the game and keep selling chicks until August.
So they took my money for equipment and supplies and then cut my throat by suddenly extending their loss leader through the summer.

Sold nothing for last 4 months.
Sold $310 worth in last 2 weeks.
Still doesn't pay for my feed over the summer.
They gobble 100 pounds a week, not counting cabbage, eggs, corn on the cob, etc.
Your region may vary.
I'm downsizing, hard.

I'll tell you something else sleazy about TSC. I bought 300 feet of field wire from them. I asked for the exact dimensions of the openings and the manufacturer provided a schematic. It turns out that the bottom holes were a good bit bigger than they claimed and my hens were able to squeeze through. I posted a review warning other buyers about the faulty information and TSC would not post the review. I calmly laid out the facts and used no foul language. I tried twice. They are deleting negative reviews from the TSC website, making their reviews completely worthless.

Back
Top Bottom