Bird watching

Pics
But sorry that got so long winded, I could have just said the turkeys were in the yard so I went inside and got some seeds and tossed them down and left or something like that. I don't know why I get so stupidly long winded :/

But sorry that got so long winded, I could have just said the turkeys were in the yard so I went inside and got some seeds and tossed them down and left or something like that. I don't know why I get so stupidly long winded
hmm.png

LOL...its fun to talk about birds!

Speaking of which, how are the birdies today? Lots of birds at my feeders today, mostly Grosbeaks, House Finches and Cowbirds. Turkeys stop by on and off.

Oh and yes, Turkeys have a pretty big range and make their rounds to their favorite feeding areas. So even if they aren't in your yard, you are on the feed circuit. Ha!

LOL...its fun to talk about birds!

Speaking of which, how are the birdies today? Lots of birds at my feeders today, mostly Grosbeaks, House Finches and Cowbirds. Turkeys stop by on and off.

Oh and yes, Turkeys have a pretty big range and make their rounds to their favorite feeding areas. So even if they aren't in your yard, you are on the feed circuit. Ha!

LOL true, thanks :)

And they are good but there don't seem to be many smallet birds lately :/ lots of robins though. I need to refill the feeders and everything. Bought some more food yesterday.

And oh wow, I never knew that! That's good to know haha

I think most of our local turkey hens have moved off to sit at this point. I'm only seeing solitary ones briefly.

Had a rose breasted grosbeak at the feeder yesterday. There were so many, both evening and rose breasted, around when I was little. Now they are hardly seen. Sad. Had a few red winged blackbirds too.

Unfortunately the cowbirds and some english house sparrows have moved in. The house sparrows are building a nest somewhere. I have to find out where it is so I can get rid of it.

That makes sense cause my dad said he saw one of the young toms today by himself.

I never see any babies though, I hope I see some this year.

Wow that's awesome! I hope to see one. I had no idea they used to be so common. That's sad :(

Do the cowbirds and sparrows chase other birds out?

Do the cowbirds and sparrows chase other birds out?
Cowbirds are parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests and let them raise their offspring. Definitely not one of my favorite birds, but at least they are native birds unlike the english house sparrows. They are an introduced species that is aggressive. They will take over nesting spots of native birds such as bluebirds and chickadees. They have been known to destroy the eggs of other birds, and even kill hatchlings and adults trying to protect nests.

Cowbirds are parasites. They lay their eggs in other birds' nests and let them raise their offspring. Definitely not one of my favorite birds, but at least they are native birds unlike the english house sparrows. They are an introduced species that is aggressive. They will take over nesting spots of native birds such as bluebirds and chickadees. They have been known to destroy the eggs of other birds, and even kill hatchlings and adults trying to protect nests.

Wow that's horrible! I had no idea :(

A few Turkey hens are hanging out around here but others have moved on too, no doubt to start setting.

Yes, Cowbirds evolved to follow Buffalo and other type herd animals long ago. As the herds moved, the Cowbirds didn't have time to make nests and raise young, so they began laying their eggs in other birds nests...and so Cowbirds become opportunistic type parasite birds. Unfortunately, baby Cowbirds grow incredibly fast and what eggs they don't kick out of the nest of the unsuspecting wild bird, they outgrow the remaining baby to which it doesn't survive. Some wild birds have also evolved in that they can recognize a Cowbird egg and will remove it from the nest.

How long do they set for? Longer than chickens?

Wow that's so interesting! I had no clue. The history is interesting, it's a shame they turned into such pests :(

Back
Top Bottom