Bird watching

Thanks! Maybe that's what I saw before too!

And LOL hopefully they get to use it!

I haven't seen the little nuthatch yet today :/

Yes and they are very cute!! And those are pretty! And they all kinda look like cockatiels or cockatoos with their little crests lol

Just saw some sort of bird of prey fly overhead then through the trees.

And earlier I saw two overhead kinda circling and flying around. I thought they might be crows instead but usually ours make a lot of noise and they had the BOP flight kind of. But they could have been crows.

But this was definitely a BOP.

But I am having a hard time identifying it. The only BOP I ever remember seeing here are red tailed hawks and the occasional owl and osprey. This was a lot smaller and I think it's tail was striped? It was kind of greyish. I didn't really get that good of a look but it was AWESOME haha

Northern Harriers also called Marsh Hawks can be greyish and have bands on the tail? They aren't large hawks and are Raven sized maybe?

I love crested birds. Those topknots are adorable!
love.gif

Maybe? I'm not too sure. But yeah, the sizing sounds about right. I think this bord might have had striped or patterned wings or body too but I could be remembering wrong. At first I thought maybe it was a peregrine falcon but I don't think so because while we do have them in New England, they need cliffs. I'm going to keep looking and try to find birds in flight

And yes I agree! I really want a cockatiel or parakeets or something but I think a house bird would be too much work.

Lately I've been really fascinated by African Greys. They're so smart

I have kept Parrots here in the house and did so for over 20 years. I REALLY enjoyed keeping birds in the house, I am just so fascinated with birds in general. LOL They aren't all that messy if you are tidy about keeping up after them. They do need to have a play area outside of the cage however. They require a LOT of attention. I can tell you that Cockatiels can be very bitey and cranky, LOL African Greys live a VERY long time and will need to be put in you Will so that they have a home to go to should you pass...I mean they can live to be 80+ years old! They will pluck their feathers out completely bald if they don't get the right attention they desire. Budgies are very easy to keep and can live to be 12 to 15 years old. They are very snuggly, they can learn to talk and are fun birds to keep. Conures are very smart birds and can be super sweet too although they can live to be 30 years old as well. Don't get birds from pet shops, always go through a private breeder. You are less likely to get a biter this way.

Wow thanks so much for all the info about the house birds! Realistically I feel like parakeets are probably best and cheapest, etc., but I also want a big talkative bird aha parakeets talk pretty well though, right? And cockatiels just like whistle? Conures I think are too loud for me lol I know a grey probably isn't the best option but they are really cool birds. I love all the imitations they can do. But if we got one now, it would probably imitate yelling, swears, and the dog barking LOL then I'd have to deal with that for 50 years :lau but they're so smart and cool

But if we got one now, it would probably imitate yelling, swears, and the dog barking LOL then I'd have to deal with that for 50 years
lau.gif

lau.gif
gig.gif
....this is too funny! My Cockatiels loved to whistle although some of them did talk. I had one that was named Peep or Peeper as we called him. After getting him I picked up a single Lovebird that didn't have a mate and I called her "baby bird". Peeper must have been jealous because somewhere along the lines he learned to say "Peeper is the baby bird."
lol.png
It was the only thing the bird could ever say. Ha! Yes, Budgies or Parakeets as they are also called are great talkers. African Greys are wonderful birds and very smart. But they can be very emotional so you need to give them the proper emotional care for them do thrive. And be ready to live another 80 years.
gig.gif

:lau   :gig ....this is too funny! My Cockatiels loved to whistle although some of them did talk. I had one that was named Peep or Peeper as we called him. After getting him I picked up a single Lovebird that didn't have a mate and I called her "baby bird". Peeper must have been jealous because somewhere along the lines he learned to say "Peeper is the baby bird." :lol:   It was the only thing the bird could ever say. Ha! Yes, Budgies or Parakeets as they are also called are great talkers. African Greys are wonderful birds and very smart. But they can be very emotional so you need to give them the proper emotional care for them do thrive. And be ready to live another 80 years. :gig

LOL thanks! Just speaking the truth. :lau and hahaha omg that is hilarious!! He seems like a smart bird too! To be able to make that connection. I'm glad budgies can talk though even if they just sing or do tricks I'll be happy. And LOL yes, I've heard they're like perpetual 2 year olds right? Emotionally. But with the intelligence of a 5 year old.. interesting combo and not sure I want that... they are called terrible twos for a reason :lau

Oh but for now I might focus on getting goats or more chickens lol
Oh no....goats.
th.gif
If you are like me and are this old,
old.gif
, you better avoid the goats!
gig.gif
I don't know, maybe it's just me but I found them to be a LOT of work. I kept pygmys and as tiny as they are, they got to be too much for me! Poultry is more my speed at my age.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom