Bird watching

Pics
Oh no....goats. :th  If you are like me and are this old, :old , you better avoid the goats! :gig   I don't know, maybe it's just me but I found them to be a LOT of work. I kept pygmys and as tiny as they are, they got to be too much for me! Poultry is more my speed at my age. :lau

LOL I'm actually only 23! Though I have heard goats are a lot of work and/or at least hard to contain?? But also a lot of fun so I don't know :/ lol

I was thinking of Nigerian Dwarfs or a dairy breed, weathers. Maybe pygmies are more spirited or something? :gig and did you have does, weathers, bucks or all? I only plan on weathers and only like 2-4. I thought about getting a doe but I think having to milking it every day would be too much work lol

They'd be pets and brush clearing :D

Although they're definitely more expensive and I do want more chickens so I don't know lol

LOL I'm actually only 23! Though I have heard goats are a lot of work and/or at least hard to contain?? But also a lot of fun so I don't know
hmm.png
lol

I was thinking of Nigerian Dwarfs or a dairy breed, weathers. Maybe pygmies are more spirited or something?
gig.gif
and did you have does, weathers, bucks or all? I only plan on weathers and only like 2-4. I thought about getting a doe but I think having to milking it every day would be too much work lol

They'd be pets and brush clearing
big_smile.png

Although they're definitely more expensive and I do want more chickens so I don't know lol
barnie.gif
.....why is everyone so much younger than me!!!
old.gif
gig.gif
Well, I guess somebody's gotta do it....
old.gif
lau.gif
Goats are a lot fun especially if you are of the younger crowd!
wink.png
I have heard a lot of good things about the Nigerians as they are a very calm breed of goat. Pygmy's are very hyper. LOL And they do make good pets. If you want an area COMPLETELY defoliated, LOL Goats are what you need! They will eat your barn down if you don't watch them!! Ha!

:barnie .....why is everyone so much younger than me!!! :old   :gig   Well, I guess somebody's gotta do it.... :old   :lau    Goats are a lot fun especially if you are of the younger crowd! ;)    I have heard a lot of good things about the Nigerians as they are a very calm breed of goat. Pygmy's are very hyper. LOL  And they do make good pets. If you want an area COMPLETELY defoliated, LOL Goats are what you need! They will eat your barn down if you don't watch them!! Ha! 

LOL you can't be THAT old! :p And if it helps, I didn't know you were older and you're very nice :hugs

Thankfully pygmys aren't really common around here so maybe I'll avoid them. Do you think Nigerians would be able to clear brush? Do they eat that much brush? Lol we have a lot of weeds and poison ivy, in one area the weeds are VERY tall lol

I'm nervous to get a bigger breed of goat because what if they eat all the brush and then because they're bigger they'd eat a lot more hay and grain lol

Aww...thank you! I lost count on how old I am somewhere around age 32.
gig.gif

I think ALL goats eat pretty much ALL foliage. LOL I don't think one breed has a preference, but just remember....your barn looks like your brush, so expect some barn damage!
wink.png

My pygmy's ate quite a bit of hay and grain. I was pretty surprised at their appetites, but they are quite large creatures I suppose. Although it beats feeding a horse!! Gosh, they consume a LOT of hay per day! I had to give that up too years ago...
old.gif
lau.gif

Last edited:
Aww...thank you! I lost count on how old I am somewhere around age 32. :gig

I think ALL goats eat pretty much ALL foliage. LOL I don't think one breed has a preference, but just remember....your barn looks like your brush, so expect some barn damage! ;)

My pygmy's ate quite a bit of hay and grain. I was pretty surprised at their appetites, but they are quite large creatures I suppose. Although it beats feeding a horse!! Gosh, they consume a LOT of hay per day! I had to give that up too years ago... :old   :lau  

LOL i probably will too.

Haha that's true. Hope they don't eat my barn lol

Wow i didn't realize such little goats could have such big appetites! And awww I love horses!!

Just saw some sort of bird of prey fly overhead then through the trees.

And earlier I saw two overhead kinda circling and flying around. I thought they might be crows instead but usually ours make a lot of noise and they had the BOP flight kind of. But they could have been crows.

But this was definitely a BOP.

But I am having a hard time identifying it. The only BOP I ever remember seeing here are red tailed hawks and the occasional owl and osprey. This was a lot smaller and I think it's tail was striped? It was kind of greyish. I didn't really get that good of a look but it was AWESOME haha
Long, narrow tail? Could be a sharp-shinned hawk. They target birds at feeders. Or a Cooper's hawk. Same coloration but larger, and will take chickens. Both prefer wooded areas. We have a bunch of both. Along with red tailed and red shouldered hawks, turkey vultures, lots of barred owls, some great horned owls and the occasional goshawk and bald eagle. And 2 months ago two black vultures that killed one hen and injured a cockerel (who died from his injuries a week later). The local ravens didn't like those at all.

LOL i probably will too.

Haha that's true. Hope they don't eat my barn lol

Wow i didn't realize such little goats could have such big appetites! And awww I love horses!!
You should start a goat rental to eat unwanted brush and scrub from people's properties. I don't want goats but I'd love to have some remove the poison ivy and other invasive weedy plants from our yard.

Long, narrow tail? Could be a sharp-shinned hawk. They target birds at feeders. Or a Cooper's hawk. Same coloration but larger, and will take chickens. Both prefer wooded areas. We have a bunch of both. Along with red tailed and red shouldered hawks, turkey vultures, lots of barred owls, some great horned owls and the occasional goshawk and bald eagle. And 2 months ago two black vultures that killed one hen and injured a cockerel (who died from his injuries a week later). The local ravens didn't like those at all.

I can't remember
1f614.png

But wow you have a lot! And it definitely could be one of those. That's sad they eat birds at feeders but I haven't noticed any deaths thankfully.

I wish we had bald eagles, they're so cool

You should start a goat rental to eat unwanted brush and scrub from people's properties. I don't want goats but I'd love to have some remove the poison ivy and other invasive weedy plants from our yard. 

That's a great idea! I think there's already one in New England but I don't know if it's all of New England or just Mass. I don't know if I have enough expertise to start a business but maybe after I have goats long enough. :)

Back
Top Bottom