Bird with few symptoms drops dead

Mar 29, 2021
Hi, my beloved ameraucana just died suddenly, im hoping i can send for necropsy. she was having some respitory symptoms for almost a week -slight wheezing, sudden cough that came on this morning- but was eating and behaving normally, she even jumped up to bed like normal this evening, and my other two birds have no symptoms. i gave her one drop of vet rx in her mouth, and rubbed some on her comb/ under wings, with plans to call the vet tomorrow. I went to check on them before bed and she was dead on the floor, still warm. I am very distraught and feel like I killed her with some form of ignorance as she was only 11 months old, but theres not enough symptoms or even anything post death that seems to have caused it. Do i need to fully clean down the coop and my other two birds now?

Hi, my beloved ameraucana just died suddenly, im hoping i can send for necropsy. she was having some respitory symptoms for almost a week -slight wheezing, sudden cough that came on this morning- but was eating and behaving normally, she even jumped up to bed like normal this evening, and my other two birds have no symptoms. i gave her one drop of vet rx in her mouth, and rubbed some on her comb/ under wings, with plans to call the vet tomorrow. I went to check on them before bed and she was dead on the floor, still warm. I am very distraught and feel like I killed her with some form of ignorance as she was only 11 months old, but theres not enough symptoms or even anything post death that seems to have caused it. Do i need to fully clean down the coop and my other two birds now?
I’m sorry for your loss. It is hard to believe sometimes but it’s life. I learnt that many times last year. I lost my dog 2 of my chickens and much more. It takes a while to understand that is life. Also 2 years back I lost 2 chickens from slightly similar circumstances. I have no clue what I killed them but there are many possibilities. I’m praying for the others that they will be okay.

I’m sorry for your loss. It is hard to believe sometimes but it’s life. I learnt that many times last year. I lost my dog 2 of my chickens and much more. It takes a while to understand that is life. Also 2 years back I lost 2 chickens from slightly similar circumstances. I have no clue what I killed them but there are many possibilities. I’m praying for the others that they will be okay.
Thank you. I found a place to necropsy, hopefully its not contagious. Other two birds are still a okay, if only confused where their friend is

Keep the body cold, but DO NOT FREEZE it.

Here is a list of places where you can send her for necropsy.
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

I'm sorry you lost her. :hugs :hugs
Thank you, i had her in a cooler outside because i cant keep a chicken in my family fridge, she unfortunatly half froze but the people im sending it to would probably have frozen on the way because of how cold it is outside right now

Back
Top Bottom