Birdbrained Idea OR Worthwhile Endeavor?

EggHappy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
Caroline County, Virginia
Is it normal to be so nervous about taking on chicken raising?

After some research, I was pretty sure about giving it a try.

But after further reading here on the board, I find myself intimidated - mostly by the keeping them healthy aspect and predator concerns, not to mention the fact that the investment seems to have more of a sentimental return than financial.

Then again, it's the fun that appeals to me, along with the household egg supply. I'm just afraid that my lack of vet skill will mean trouble and agnst in the long run.

What say you, chicken peeps?

wee.gif
go for it! It's wayyyy fun and the problems are few compared to the enjoyment!

With anything, there are advantages and disadvantages.

I've gotten so much help here during the challenging times, it makes it worth it.

I think illnesses with chickens are probably more the exception than the norm. As long as you start with healthy stock, keep them in a clean environment with good food and clean water, you'll have little or no troubles. And you don't have to make a huge commitment with money. Check out the coop section. People have built great coops with little more than imagination and bits and pieces from around the house. If you're mostly interested in some fresh eggs for the family and the fun (and it really is a lot of fun) of raising chickens, then go for it. It's always possible you'll lose a few a long the way, but it's worth it. If you ever have any trouble, or questions, I've found the people on this forum to be the most helpful, kind and knowledgable people in the world. With this kind of help on your side, raising chickens can be one of the most pleasurable and fulfilling you'll ever do. Have fun and go for it.

Your nervousness tells me you have common sense, LOL! Just jumping into caring for any animal without thought isn't such a great idea, in my experience.

My own chicken adventure has had its share of heartache and triumph, but I would not trade it for anything. It has made me more human! Who'da thunk.

Good luck, prepare your coop/run well, stock up on some basic meds and first aid supplies, and go for it! I wish you all the very best in your adventure. There are lots of kind folks here who can help if you get in a jam.

Go for it and don't be intimidated! If you run into a problem, the wonderful people here on BYC will have your back. Chickens really aren't as difficult as you may have gotten the impression from reading. Sure, there are issues sometimes, but the rewards (IMHO) far outweigh the problems. Financially, it may well be cheaper to buy your eggs from the store but I haven't found chickens to be a financial burden and I truly like knowing just where my eggs come from and how fresh they are. Chickens are also a lot more fun than one might think. All of mine have names and their own personalities - yes I have my favorites - and they have brought a lot of smiles my way!! Good luck and welcome to BYC!

GO for it. You will learn from the experience and It is THE only way. You will have THIS forum, there are others.

Be Sure you have a feed store that carries chicken supplies, without this you are going to have difficulties.

This little hobby can get somewhat expensive, save your pennies for a reserve before you order your chicks.

Order your chicks from the nearest hatchery to you to start with and DO NOT order meat birds, You will only know misery and heartache. This is NOT for the faint of heart or the inexperienced flock keeper.

Order Hens ONLY to start with. Many hatcheries will sex thier birds, but this limits you to only a few breeds.

Do not get Guinea Fowl right away, wait for this, although they are a pleasant addition, they MUST free range to be happy.

Be SURE you have enough coop for the chicks you order. Wait until it is fairly warm outside and be prepared to take care of babies for at least 5 weeks in a brooder.

When I started, the wife got me involved, but she had had some experience. I simply fell in love with the whole process and to this day STILL love to care for the little turds.

I have learned a GREAT deal in the last two years. I started in the spring of 2008. ONE more thing. DO NOT, and I repeat, DO NOT get your birds from an auction. Keep your flock closed and if you want more birds get them from people on here or hatcheries.

I like my hen chickens, I really like my roos (roosters) and I LOVE my Guineas (Numida Meleagris Sabyi). I am just weird that way.

ETA: You will be amazed just how much chickens entertain and please the senses. It WILL make you a better human.

Last edited:
smile.png
I think the whole trick is to do your research, start out small, have all the basics on hand first, ( brooder, coop, heat lamps, bedding, waterers and feeders). This is a great site for info., don't be afraid to use it. There are no dumb questions when you are new. The good will out-weigh the bad and you'll have a blast.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom