Birds eating my hens feed

ccat1

Chirping
Sep 3, 2015
My issue is birds, just ordinary sparrows, finches.....getting into the coop, sitting on the edge of the feeder and gorging themselves all day.
I am actually noticing I am putting more feed into the feeder throughout the week, than before I had this issue.
I really don't know how to keep this from happening, as I have to have the feeder open to the hens all day.
Does anyone have this issue AND a solution? I have told my 4 Marans to "keep those stinking birds out" but they apparently don't understand my request.
I worry about diseases some birds can bring.
Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

My issue is birds, just ordinary sparrows, finches.....getting into the coop, sitting on the edge of the feeder and gorging themselves all day.
I am actually noticing I am putting more feed into the feeder throughout the week, than before I had this issue.
I really don't know how to keep this from happening, as I have to have the feeder open to the hens all day.
Does anyone have this issue AND a solution? I have told my 4 Marans to "keep those stinking birds out" but they apparently don't understand my request.
I worry about diseases some birds can bring.
Thanks in advance for any help on this issue.

Are the birds getting into the coop itself or through the run, if you have one of them attached?

Consider using hardware cloth to keep birds out of pen.

Also look into treddle feeder although spillage from those still might be enough to attract the songbirds.

I would have suggested that also if they were getting in through the pen. But if they are getting in though ventilation holes in the coop itself, a bit of screen like they have on window screens could be used to cover that entrance, plus still allow the air to flow through.

Last edited:
That is a dilemma. And you do need to keep the wild birds away from your flock.

Would offering a more "appetizing" wild bird feeder remote from the coop help reduce the number of visitors?

Suggestions:

1- If your flock free ranges - offer feed twice a day and don't leave it in the coop all day.
2- If the flock lives in confinement, fortify the run and coop to prevent the wild birds access.
3 - Consider the treadle feeders so the chickens learn to step on the peddle and the wild birds can't do that.

If you could describe how you manage/tend your flock and add pics of the coop/run, it would help with suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom