birds picking feathers - each one teach one?

gingerpeach22

Songster
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Fairbanks
I notice that when a bird decides to jerk feathers out of another's neck, that bird submits. I want it to kick the stuffings out of the perpetrator, darn it. I think they learn it from each other because there are a number of birds doing this - that and picking/pecking around the tail. Then there is pink skin showing which seems to attract pecks as they walk around. I'm so tired of catching birds, putting on pick-no-more lotion which lasts a day and then trying to catch the same birds the next day. If it were a single bird, I could put peepers on it. I did identify one and put peepers on her. Again. Please chime in on this topic.

Have you read the threads linked on the FAQ page? Usually it's too little protein, too little space, boredom, or some combination. If there's one bully, isolating him for a week or so will often stop bullying, or so I've read; they return at the bottom of the pecking order.

Some people find this behavior nearly impossible to stop, once established, despite trying a pile of suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom