Birdy tips

Birdwhisperer10

In the Brooder
Mar 22, 2016
Hello! This is the Birdwhisperer10. This new thread will be a question answerer for managing and taking care of your flock. Any new members can ask questions and I will answer them once I read them. So if you need a question answered for family flock, send me a question. THANK YOU!!!
D.gif

The whole ethos of BYC is to provide a forum for members to ask questions and receive responses. As such, we have over 390,000 members doing just that. None of us, regardless of our level of experience is a one-stop shop for advice. Other members will, i am sure, benefit from your advice if you look through the threads and help out where you can.

Regards

CT

Last edited:
I own about 35 birds including 5 roosters. I have been going through the troubles of being a backyard chicken farmer and I know a great deal knowledge on caring for my flock and solving problems that pop up every now and then. So I can probably answer any questions that you need answered as well rooster problems, the pecking order, caring for new chicks hand raised and mother hen raised. I actually have bantam hen that has hatched a single egg and I am allowing the hen to mother it instead of me trying to raise it, though I still have to change the food, water, and bedding daily because they dig a lot and eat and drink, which is good. I have also gone to The Poultry 101 program at the Penn State University in State College, PA 5 time in a row and I plan to attend at it again.

You'll find that most people like to start new threads for their questions or post in already established threads on specific topics. It's far easier to find relevant information on a given topic when it is organized by thread rather than having to search through one big thread on a bunch of different topics.

Was it the Youth Poultry 101 program for youths and youth leaders that you did? I hear that is a good program.

I own about 35 birds including 5 roosters. I have been going through the troubles of being a backyard chicken farmer and I know a great deal knowledge on caring for my flock and solving problems that pop up every now and then. So I can probably answer any questions that you need answered as well rooster problems, the pecking order, caring for new chicks hand raised and mother hen raised. I actually have bantam hen that has hatched a single egg and I am allowing the hen to mother it instead of me trying to raise it, though I still have to change the food, water, and bedding daily because they dig a lot and eat and drink, which is good. I have also gone to The Poultry 101 program at the Penn State University in State College, PA 5 time in a row and I plan to attend at it again.
Welcome to BYC!
You've gotten some good advice already.

How long have you had your 35 birds with 5 cocks?
Why would you take the same class 5 times and more...or are you teaching it?

I have had my birds for 7 years or more. I have been going to that class many times because they teach many different things each year. But I don't teach anything there. I am only there to learn how to keep my birds healthy and how to help them to survive. I want to be able to raise my pretty birds with ease, though I am not the kind of person that would want to let a bird die for any reason. I have a rooster who has been given a pass for attacking my mom when she let the birds out for their daily freedom. He is a Partridge Rock and his name is Jack. He is starting to molt a 4th time so he won`t look very pretty for now.

Why would you take the same class 5 times and more...or are you teaching it?

They post the program description online and there are new topics each time it runs. Topics like how to protect your flock from avian flu, treating and preventing parasites, and best practices for maximizing incubation success. It's a good program for 4H youth, adults who lead 4H groups or anyone who wants to learn about poultry care and keeping. Tufts University and UMass Amherst have similar educational programs open to the public. There are probably lots of similar programs out there.

Back
Top Bottom