Bit if a dilemma here

Pics

Logar

Chirping
Mar 31, 2024
We had originally got an eglu cube for our chicks but have come to realize just how much space a chicken requires. But the issue comes with this- my mom refuses to let me build a proper coop because “premade stuff is better” 🙄. She refuses to budge even though I have tried to tell her that she is putting looks over wellfair. My dad is on my side so that is a plus. I have tried multiple times to get her to join here but she refuses to because the first thing that pops up on google is always right apparently. We are hoping to at least get her to let us sell the omlet coop and replace it with a proper sized one. A sort of compromise if you will- we get a premade coop but it is the correct size. But that is where I need help. I don’t currently know exactly what is the best option to go with. I am not quite sure what my dad would be willing to spend but I am thinking under $2000 but maybe a tiny bit more if it is truly the best option. So I am looking for an around 4x6 coop that will last and is a safe, proper home for my chicks. These are the options I have come up with so far:

OverEZ-
pros: is slightly larger than what we need which isn’t a bad thing as 3 (maybe 4 depending on what the mystery chick is) of our birds are giants while the remaining 3 (or 2) are large. It also can be found locally and is a larger production coop so I don’t have to worry about getting it in the next 4-5 weeks.

Cons: because it is bigger it takes away from the run space, that we can’t increase do to local laws, meaning more chances of boredom. It also seems to be a hit or miss with the quality. It is also right at the top of what I am thinking the budget is.

The next option I am thinking is this coop
http://lancasterchickencoops.com/a-frame-a46-coop.php (http://lancasterchickencoops.com/a-frame-a46-coop.php)-

Pros: it is inside the budget and still is the size I am aiming for. It seems to be a nice, high quality product as well. It also is better looking than the overEZ.

Cons: I don’t know much about the company and I don’t see anywhere for people to add reviews. The wait time also could end up being and issue.

And the last option is this
http://chickenhuggers.com/products/gambrel-barn-coop?Size=4x6 (http://chickenhuggers.com/products/gambrel-barn-coop?Size=4x6)-
This has pretty much the same pros and cons as the one above.

Because my mom wants everything to be matchy-matchy and doesn’t trust the fact I could build a coop better than omlet. My dad has tried taking sense into her but she doesn’t care.

I have tried but was a no. I am still trying to gently nudge her into considering it but it seems every attempt just makes her more willing to abuse my chickens, or “our” according to everyone in my family (not my dad) whose knowledge of chickens ends after distinguishing them from a turkey. I know it seems like I am making my mom out to be a bad person but she isn’t. She just won’t listen after she gets something she thinks will work without doing any research. My dad was, or maybe still is, talking to her over the phone as he is on a work trip about this and he can hopefully knock some sense into her pea brain (just to be clear that is meant in a joking manner as I know some chickens love peas 😜)

Some general climate info will be helpful. I’m in Ohio, so I deal with wind, heavy rain, and can get very cold here-and pretty hot in summer. So, coop is placed where it and run are fully in shade by 2 or 3 pm, behind the barn for some wind protection, etc. you don’t have to give exact location or state, but knowing what you are dealing with over the course of a year will be helpful.

The first and third are underventilated so plan on adding some ventilation up high (the second does have a window that opens up, but doesn't appear to have hardware cloth protecting it). Interior wise, the Lancaster one is rather oddly designed: the nests are up much higher than the roosts (like, super high) which means a greater likelihood of chickens opting to sleep in the nests, and a 4x6 pull out tray is likely so unwieldy that it'll never get pulled out.

The first and third are underventilated so plan on adding some ventilation up high (the second does have a window that opens up, but doesn't appear to have hardware cloth protecting it). Interior wise, the Lancaster one is rather oddly designed: the nests are up much higher than the roosts (like, super high) which means a greater likelihood of chickens opting to sleep in the nests, and a 4x6 pull out tray is likely so unwieldy that it'll never get pulled out.
So the 2nd one is the one I am pretty sure is going to be the pick just because it seems like the style my family likes. As for the window, there is an add on to get it covered with hardware cloth. The same applies to the pull out tray. Is there an issue if the nest boxes are that high? Sorry if it is a stupid question 😅

Is there an issue if the nest boxes are that high? Sorry if it is a stupid question 😅
See below
the nests are up much higher than the roosts (like, super high) which means a greater likelihood of chickens opting to sleep in the nests
Now, they do say "Customization is Welcome." but I don't know if that would cost extra. If they can do some customization for a small fee I'd ask for a fixed floor (no pull out tray, no pull out door) and to drop the nests to the floor directly below where they're currently shown.

Back
Top Bottom