Bit if a dilemma here

Not much bigger than an eglu:
"4.4 sq. ft. coop accommodates up to 12 chickens"
With terrible population ratio.
A great size if you have some like this (the kind that does poop or breathe):
81PEb+2uvtL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Since you are in western PA you should be able to get a shed from Steel City Sheds in Ohio. I’m in NEPA and jumped on one of their free delivery specials. I got an 8x12 coop shed delivered for $2200. That’s with tax and a window added to the back wall opposite the door which I recommend, it lets in a decent amount of light and adds ventilation.

We built the run on to the pop door side. We still have plans to add more ventilation as with summer coming on it will get hotter inside.

The only thing is maybe make sure they place the nest box lower. I think they misunderstood my request to have the nest box placed mid right side. I meant mid between front and back….not floor to roof!

View attachment 3798170

View attachment 3798169
Are you going to put some kind of foundation under that?

Well, I assumed total, they never give many real dimensions.
Take look at the link, and tell us what you think.
Dimensions are given in inches/mm, calculated out it purports to be 8x4' by my calculations (approx). I can only assume these dimensions are "overall," meaning the exterior size of run and coop combined?

• Overall dimensions of the chicken coop: 105.1 in. L x 52.7 in. W x 73 in. H (2,670 mm L x 1,340 mm W x 1,855 mm H)
101 in. = 8.4 ft. (L)
52 in. = 4.3 ft (W)
73 in. = 6 ft (H)

I think what they are calling the "coop" is the entire structure, not the enclosed sleeping area, and yeah, you could possibly stuff 12 chickens in the entire structure. But 12 chickens are not going to be able to roost/ sleep in that tiny enclosed box. Don't waste your money. Boy, this makes me mad. Bad marketing.

It is impossible for that coop to be 4.4 sq. ft.. They don't say how wide the coop part alone is, but estimating from the picture, if the overall run is 105", then the coop part would be about 42".

42" x 52" = about 15 sq.ft.

(Note: 52.7" ~= 4.4 linear feet. Maybe that's where that number came from.)

I liked this part too, "Warning: This product is designed exclusively for chickens; not intended for children." Gee, too bad, I was thinking of getting one and starting a day-care center with it. ;)

Last edited:
Dimensions are given in inches/mm, calculated out it purports to be 8x4' by my calculations (approx). I can only assume these dimensions are "overall," meaning the exterior size of run and coop combined?

• Overall dimensions of the chicken coop: 105.1 in. L x 52.7 in. W x 73 in. H (2,670 mm L x 1,340 mm W x 1,855 mm H)
101 in. = 8.4 ft. (L)
52 in. = 4.3 ft (W)
73 in. = 6 ft (H)

I think what they are calling the "coop" is the entire structure, not the enclosed sleeping area, and yeah, you could possibly stuff 12 chickens in the entire structure. But 12 chickens are not going to be able to roost/ sleep in that tiny enclosed box. Don't waste your money. Boy, this makes me mad. Bad marketing.
Oh, and I was wrong to say 12 chickens. . in a structure of any kind, measuring 8x4 feet, that's a total of 32 sq. ft. Providing 4 sq ft per chicken, that means it's actually only enough room for 8 chickens. If you want most of them to sleep out in the run. If I'm wrong, please BYC, feel free to show my error.

I think what they are calling the "coop" is the entire structure
Exactly.
On these I usually go by the width given and estimate the length of the enclosed coop. The nests can be a factor too, tho not on this one, except half the nests protrude into the actual enclosed coop.

Bad marketing.
Or 'good' if you're on the selling side.

Back
Top Bottom