Bit of a dilemma...

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I just received my swap eggs today. I got 10 button quail eggs from LilRalphieRoosmama.
wee.gif

I have 2 LG incubators, one still air and one forced. Both have automatic turners.
The still air one has button quail eggs from Tori in it, due to hatch on Tuesday-ish. The forced air one has about 10 chicken eggs from my own hens, all due to hatch at different times. I have a homemade hatcher that works ok, but I have to check it regularly to regulate the temps.

How can I make this work? I was going to leave Tori's buttons in the bator they are in for hatching, since my hatcher is kind of goofy. I know I can't leave these other button eggs to wait till Tori's are done.

DILEMMA #2:
I have also made arrangements with another BYC member for duck eggs, and possibly a few goose eggs. I can remove some of the turner trays that are in my forced air bator to put the goose eggs in. I'm thinking the duck eggs will fit right in the turner cups. Can I put the button eggs in this one until the other buttons are done hatching? I really don't want to hatch the buttons in the hatcher, if I can avoid it.

Sorry, but to me this seems kind of confusing
smile.png
Let me know if you can help, or need me to clarify!!
big_smile.png

You have WAY too many poultry eggs!
gig.gif
I really don't know how you could do this! (i have no experience with hatching... sorry)
idunno.gif

Especially with duck and goose eggs in the mix - and as bacteria laiden goose eggs can be - you are taking a huge risk trying to incubate all of those in 2 small LG's.

Perhaps you can ask around and borrow another bator or two from someone local?

Or you can do what my wife does....... Just build another incubator or hatcher. Check out MissPrissy's link to her home made bators. We used her plans for our first 2. Easy to build and only about $15 if you already have a old cooler.

I was going to suggest building another one! Seems like you have way too many going now for what you have in plans. That's a LOT of hatches going. I hope you get it figured out and get everyone their turn to hatch.
hmm.png

Yes, I've figured out what to do with them. A friend of mine has 3 or 4 incubators, some hovabators and some LG's. He said that either I could borrow one of them or he can incubate some eggs for me!!
celebrate.gif

So the chicken and quail eggs will be in one bator, the duck eggs in another, and the goose eggs in another, either at my house or his, not sure which yet! Wish me luck!!
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom