1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bit of an emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chantelleschick, Oct 26, 2014.

1. chantelleschick

chantelleschick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2014
    Hi all,

Just been cleaning my 7 week old chicks out. Gave their bum a bath as they were abit messy. I found a bloody poo in the corner if their coop.

They are currently wrapped up in my kitchen in an old uniform tunic to keep them warm and have used a hair dryer from a distance to dry them off.

My old uniform is white, and one particular chick looks like he is pooping out blood. I also think he has a broken toe.

Chick number two is bracing himself, looks like his leg may be broken. He isn't moving much at all, when he walks he waddles and falls over.
    So worried for them.. What do I do?

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If you are seeing bloody poop's they most likely have coccidiosis. Get some Corid (amprolium) brand name will differ depending on your location, and start treating right away. It kills fast so you don't have time on your side. There may be other things going on here but none of that will matter if coccidiosis kills them all before you can figure out if they have other issues. Keeping them warm will help as well.

3. chantelleschick

chantelleschick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2014
    Babies are all Warm and ok now. A couple look abit fluffed up. Seriously concerned now. We have a red sex link who has stopped laying now for over a week, lost all feathers on her underside and losing a lot on her top. She hasn't been her usual self but think it's the molt.. Could this be cocci too?

4. casportpony

casportpony Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Coccidisosis treatment with Corid:
    [​IMG]
    -Kathy

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you in the UK? Corid (amprollium) is called Coxoid there. In Canada it is Amprol. In the UK Baycox (toltrazuril) may be available as well as Coxoid. Here are a couple of links on coccidiosis:
    http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/coccidiosis/index.aspx
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by