Bit of Earth Honey

Quote:
Actually two of the hives up there are first year, but from nucs, and boy, were those some nice, productive bees! We got one super from one and two from the other new hive. The other two hives gave us three and two, respectively. Not all of the frames were full, however, so I said we got six medium supers. Not a bad haul. We've got four more hives down here to harvest, too, and I think we'll get about the same.
We administered some medications today and our weaker hive was very aggressive. I'm sure they were protecting what little food they have. Their hive was very light. I'm afraid they were probably victims of robbing. I learn a new lesson every day with them.

Feed them now, unless you've still got a flow going on. We only use Miteaway II in the fall to knock back the mites, other than that we don't use any medication. All you can do is help them go into the winter as strong as they can be.

Congrats on your harvest! What does honey sell for back there, say for a 8 fl. oz jar?

Right now many of our fellow beeks are getting $8 a pound. I've got a health food store interested in buying some, we'll see how much he wants to pay for it.

Quote:
Oh, that's too bad, Joe! Our former club treasurer developed the same reaction, she doesn't touch the bees anymore, her teenagers do it for her. It's sad you had to give up a wonderful hobby!

Kstaven and PAChickenChick, that sounds awful in Pennsylvania, a system that definitely could be used against people. We don't have anything like that oversight here, but then again, there aren't all that many beeks, either.​

Thanks for the reply Reinbeau! So, you don't have to treat for Nosema, or do you just choose not to?

I did start feeding them heavy syrup right away, so now I just have to wait and see if they're ok. :|

I'm just grateful that you have bees. There are so few of them anymore. Wish you could send some our way. Our fruit doesn't get pollinated anymore.

Quote:
We kind of believe in tough love. If the bees don't have the immune system they need, then they die. Survival of the fittest. Plus using antibiotics as a preventative is just as bad for the bees as for us, bugs develop an immunity to them and then they don't work! Nosema isn't a huge problem for us in this area, it's worse at our hives up in Maine, where the bees have to 'hold it' for far longer in the winter. Although one hive had it bad last winter, they all made it through and built up strong this spring.

MissPrissy, if I remember correctly, aren't you doing top bar hives? That's always intrigued me, but I don't like doing the crush and strain method of extracting, it's resource intensive for them to build comb, so I like giving them back frames to use again next year. But people do love that method!

hi , we have 15 hives and are at 3,000 ft elevation in west virginia , so our season is short. we did our last robbing about 6 weeks ago . we had mites real bad this year so we used the apigaurd on the hives . today hubby is combining two smaller hives , one is queenless ( we think ?)

good to hear from other beekeepers!

legalities of selling?

Oh boy Bee people on BYC!
http://www.onlinelabels.com/OL350.htm
when I ordered these blank labels online there was a place to download a template into my photoshop program where I had images to put on labels and then just added my text. They printed out beautifully on the color laser printer ( at work...) and add a lovely personal note to our honey!
I caught three swarms early this spring and now have 6 hives, all with1 to 3 full supers that I need to pull this coming weekend. I hope the weather gods are with me!

Do any of you know the legalities of selling to stores, or online? Right now I am only selling at work and to friends but I have 100 pounds left from last year and WAY more than that to pull now...
do I have to go through some kind of bottling inspection or anything like other foods?

You need to check with your own state rules. Here we don't have to have a 'food kitchen', we just extract and bottle it up into clean bottles. Honey has antimicrobial properties. Keep things clean and there's no special considerations, as far as I've heard, at least here in MA. Here is a link to State of Wisconsin's Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection/Apiary (Beekeeping) page. There's a link to the home page of the Wisconsin Honey Producer's Association, where you can find even more info.

Last edited:
Mahonri, how sad that your fruit doesn't get pollinated anymore. Actually, I guess that's the understatement of the year. That's really awful. I hope we're doing it the right way, but as with anything, this is all trial and error.

Reinbeau - I know what you mean, I wonder all the time if I'm doing the right thing by giving them antibiotics. Maybe as I get more confidence and can make some decisions for myself instead of following blindly I'll go forego the antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom