Bite-y chick needs training

MTKitty

Crowing
Aug 14, 2021
MT
I have one chick out of my 4-week old flock that is bite-y. S/he and one other in the group run to the front of the brooder cage when I open the door. The other one runs up for chest scratches. The problem chick bites and pecks at my hand when I’m reaching for food and water bowls.

Right now, it’s not so bad. But in another few months, it will be more than just annoying.

Is it common for this behavior to manifest so early? I want to give this one a chance because of its age - it just seems really young to be so aggressive. I’m working to discourage the behavior, as I have no desire to keep an ill-tempered bird in my flock.

I would be interested in hearing how long the experienced keepers would go before culling (assuming training doesn’t eliminate the habit).

I have one chick out of my 4-week old flock that is bite-y. S/he and one other in the group run to the front of the brooder cage when I open the door. The other one runs up for chest scratches. The problem chick bites and pecks at my hand when I’m reaching for food and water bowls.

Right now, it’s not so bad. But in another few months, it will be more than just annoying.

Is it common for this behavior to manifest so early? I want to give this one a chance because of its age - it just seems really young to be so aggressive. I’m working to discourage the behavior, as I have no desire to keep an ill-tempered bird in my flock.

I would be interested in hearing how long the experienced keepers would go before culling (assuming training doesn’t eliminate the habit).
Picture? Is s/he attacking or just pecking as if it wants food? Beaks usually grow smoother over time though.

Training consists of thumping with one or two fingers as soon as the peck lands. I start with a firm tap and increase with each successive bite. I believe it will work, as s/he hesitates or stops after two or three taps.

My biggest concern is how young this bird is and if I’m looking at potential problems once sexual maturity starts.

There’s no evidence of bullying among the others. Just a nasty little attitude for me when I’m doing chores in the brooder.

Could be signs of a male.
Post pics of biter.
That’s one of my suspicions. At four weeks, they haven’t fully developed their plumage around the neck and head, but I’ll see what I can do about a photo.

That’s one of my suspicions. At four weeks, they haven’t fully developed their plumage around the neck and head, but I’ll see what I can do about a photo.
Hackle and saddle feathers won't come in until about 4 months.
4-6 weeks is when the male comb and wattles should show larger and redder than the females.

The little poop ran as soon as I pointed the camera. 😖

I did notice yesterday that the ridge where the comb is starting to come in is more pronounced than broodmates. But I didn’t give that much thought because this group seems to be at all different stages of fledging for chicks that were hatched within the same day of one another.

So, I take it from responses so far that this behavior is not necessarily odd at 4 weeks. Given that this morning was less confrontational, I will be optimistic that early training will leave me with a well-mannered adult who respects boundaries.

Thanks, All.

What kind of pecking is it? Yours might be a bit young, but as they grow older, different types of pecks mean different things. My Hattie (in my bio pic) pecks me every time she hops in my lap. She rapidly pecks with a downward scraping motion at my chest until I put my arm around her, then she presses in close and stretches her neck over my shoulder. She was just telling me she wanted a hug. Most of my girls do the peck/scrape thing to let me know they want attention :love .

Back
Top Bottom