Bitey Drake!

Hello everyone!
We are going trough an aggressive behavior issue with our two drakes. The KC does not allow the WH to get close of the hens now. They are 5 month and living with 8 hens! They never fight until now. I just separated the KC from the flock and see if he calms down. He’s only show aggression against the other drake. It could be their hormones kicking , but I don’t want any of them to get hurt. I found interesting how the little KC dominates the Welsh that is much bigger... and I thought a ratio of 1:4 is a good one...Did not see them mating and no eggs yet..

Separate and give each drake 4 females each. That is about the only way to keep the peace once hormones are running amuck.
Thank you for advice. I was thinking about doing that way but couldn’t figure out which hens prefer him. I may just separate them by breed so he will have 3 hens KC and 1 Swedish, while the WH will keep the 3 WH and 1 Swedish.

I agree with @sourland and also, you might need to think about rehoming/processing him given his aggression toward you. I'd like others with actual first-hand experience to weight in on this, but one idea I had for dealing with a dominant/aggressive drake would be to establish your own dominance.

Hmm, there's actually an article that covers how to do this:

https://www.raising-ducks.com/aggressive-drakes/
Good article! Showing them who is boss has worked for us. We've had to pin down our drake quite a few times and it really does make a difference. He can have days where he's so sweet and then others where he just wants to bite and be a jerk (have had many tiny duck bruises)but we have learned to read him and know when he's in a mood...we just don't tolerate it and he backs off. Never hurt him of course.
Can't wait for spring since this will be our first year with 2 drakes...must remember patience and calm, it's not personal! Lol :)
You may want to seperate for a bit, they should be happy if they are seperate and can still see each other.

Back
Top Bottom