Biting Hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cgtreasures, Nov 22, 2012.

1. cgtreasures

cgtreasures New Egg

Nov 22, 2012
    We are new to raising chickens so need some help solving the problem of our hens biting. We have 3 buff orphingtons and they are 6 months old. They are really getting mean and try to bite us when we let them out of their pen which is about 3 feet wide x 6 feet long x 2 feet high. I try to let them out for at least 30 minutes every day to run around and scratch and forage. One will follow at my heels and bite me where ever she can, foot, leg. I've gave her a swat and said no. She clucked and one of the others ran around from behind and bit me one the arm. She was being protective of the other hen. They are to the point of leaving bruises on our skin. Our kids don't even want to get close to them. Will this get worse? I've heard of chickens flogging people and putting a person's eye out, so am very concerned. Are they wanting attention, more food, bigger pen, showing dominance, or do chickens just do this? They don't peck or bite each other and seem to get along very well in their pen. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. BellaBokBok

BellaBokBok Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2012
    Australia
    my hen once bit me and she got a smack (not to hard) and time out in a milk crate. never did it again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by