Biting pullet

Mamatomany123

Crowing
Mar 14, 2020
West texas
I currently have 15 chickens. 7 are a year old, 4 are 8 months old, and 4 are around 5 weeks old. 1 of my 8 month olds has starting biting me when I go in the run. Shes a red sexlink, unsure if that makes a difference. Shes also tried multiple times to get to the babies and kill them (ramming herself into the brooder in the coop, trying to peck through the cage bars when I put them in the run,she even got one and grabbed her, not just a peck.) I'm thinking the biting me thing is a batte of who's higher thing. She wont squat for me but I know shes laying. Any ideas on what to do? I have young kids and eventually will have to let the 5 week olds into the run with them but want to try everything possible before having to rehome her.

She most likely is trying to dominate. She is still young she may grow out of it as her place in the flock is established, but keep an eye on her behavior as she sounds more aggressive than average.

She most likely is trying to dominate. She is still young she may grow out of it as her place in the flock is established, but keep an eye on her behavior as she sounds more aggressive than average.
She is being super aggressive. She got a hold of a 5 week old tonight and threw her in the air. I serrated them and she had a beak full of feathers. Thinking of putting her in chicken jail for a bit. I've noticed shes also not letting one of her flock mates to eat. This just started. I'm so confused.

The chicks are probably doing weird things to her hormones, so her behavior is all over the place. One of my hens got weird when we got our last batch of chicks, was just cranky and foul tempered in general - and she even picked up and threw one chick across the run - so the chicks learned to beat feet any time she was around. Then when they were about 7 weeks old, she went broody. I caged her, and once her broodiness broke, she completely went back to normal. So locking her up for a few days might help "fix" her mood.

Back
Top Bottom