Bittersweet vine & chickens? Safe or not?

Sunflower

Songster
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Berryton, KS
I just got a bittersweet vine for my birthday, but I have chickens. Not sure if it's safe or not? I just grow it for the decorations in the fall.

Perhaps you should identify it as 1 of the 3 plants known as Bittersweet:

Solanum dulcamara
Celastrus scendens
Celastrus orbiculatus

The Celastrus vines are listed by UCDavis as having "Minor Toxicity." But, they are not found in Cornell's Plants Poisonous to Livestock.

The Solanum species are listed by Cornell as toxic. Of course, that includes all the nightshades.

The ASPCA lists Solanum dulcamara specifically as "Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Horses." I don't think they ever mention any other critters on their "Animal Poison Control Center" website except for cats, dogs and horses.

So, it may be fairly important to know if your vine is this species of nightshade or one of the other 2.

Steve

edited to add: Purdue, Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets also lists Solanum dulcamara as toxic and say, "All animals, including pets, may be affected."

Last edited:
Thanks Steve - it looks like it's C. scandens (American) bittersweet. I never knew there were different varieties. Thanks again!!

I got this one growing and the girls eat the berries…. I recently cut some of the vines and draped them in the run, and wonder if its dangerous. They pick the leaves occasionally, but there are no berries offered on whats in the coop. I wonder if anyone has any further input about this oriental bittersweet and chickens. I just learned recently that oak tree leaves and acorns are toxic cause the tannanis or some ingredient I probably typed wrong. Thanks

Attachments

• E7CD1414-19EE-4FC4-B38B-853239590C97.png
    E7CD1414-19EE-4FC4-B38B-853239590C97.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom