Bittersweet vine & chickens? Safe or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunflower, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    I just got a bittersweet vine for my birthday, but I have chickens. Not sure if it's safe or not? I just grow it for the decorations in the fall.

2. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Perhaps you should identify it as 1 of the 3 plants known as Bittersweet:

Solanum dulcamara
    Celastrus scendens
    Celastrus orbiculatus

The Celastrus vines are listed by UCDavis as having "Minor Toxicity." But, they are not found in Cornell's Plants Poisonous to Livestock.

The Solanum species are listed by Cornell as toxic. Of course, that includes all the nightshades.

The ASPCA lists Solanum dulcamara specifically as "Toxic to Cats, Toxic to Dogs, Toxic to Horses." I don't think they ever mention any other critters on their "Animal Poison Control Center" website except for cats, dogs and horses.

So, it may be fairly important to know if your vine is this species of nightshade or one of the other 2.

Steve

edited to add: Purdue, Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets also lists Solanum dulcamara as toxic and say, "All animals, including pets, may be affected."

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  3. Sunflower

Sunflower Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Berryton, KS
    Thanks Steve - it looks like it's C. scandens (American) bittersweet. I never knew there were different varieties. Thanks again!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by