Bizarre behavior.

Hmm....they don't appear particularly broody, not flattened out in nest and the one on the roost, if she were broody I'd suspect she's try to getting a nest or be flattened out on the floor of coop....and you say they are all still laying?
Do they scream and bite when you try to remove them from the coop?
Looks like on of those tiny coops so probably hard to get at them?
Are these the only 3 birds you have?
Do they have a run or are they free range?
Wondering if the coop is the only shade they have...just stabbing in the dark here.

Some answers to your questions… But firstly, I’d like to say thank you for your interest and information on this. As a newbie these issues can be quite daunting, particularly when the welfare of the chickens is my primary concern.

The gold stopped laying eggs about a week ago, and no eggs from anybody in the last three days I guess. I’ll check later on when I get them off the nest.

I have to wear welding gloves when I remove the Silvers, as they peck and bite me. No screaming though. When I place them back on the ground they both lie very flat for a couple of minutes, then resume normal chicken activity… The Gold one (her name is Seggsy) is not so aggressive, she screams and tries to flap, but does not try to bite me. She doesn’t lie flat when I put her back on the ground.

I agree, the coop is small but they have a run of approximately 110 ft.² which I’m led to believe is ample for three chickens. Additionally, they free range for an hour or two every couple of days in my front yard which is lush and green. They have plenty of shade, and patches of sunlight during the day. To me it looks pretty ideal. Thoughts?

And yes, only three birds.

Attachments

• 22C091E9-ABFD-4339-81B4-FDA06184F6F5.jpeg
    22C091E9-ABFD-4339-81B4-FDA06184F6F5.jpeg
    807.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 306D1DF4-5709-4EDF-898E-BD527166EEAA.jpeg
    306D1DF4-5709-4EDF-898E-BD527166EEAA.jpeg
    696.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
When I place them back on the ground they both lie very flat for a couple of minutes, then resume normal chicken activity
Sounds broody, at least partially.
Wonders if the gold one is just 'hanging with her flock' and not really broody.
Man, it's tough situation.
Scrolled back thru thread but didn't see...how old are these birds how long have they been laying??

I would say locking them out of coop might work, except for the reaction you saw when you tried that before. They won't like being in a cage either, but at least they'd be less likely to hurt themselves and would settle down quicker(tho that might take a day or so).
2 or 3 broody cages might be the best(if most annoying) solution, but they really need to stay in them overnight so may need to be put somewhere they have night time predator protection instead of just leaving them in your run.
Still thinking but that's all for now.

Sounds broody, at least partially.
Wonders if the gold one is just 'hanging with her flock' and not really broody.
Man, it's tough situation.
Scrolled back thru thread but didn't see...how old are these birds how long have they been laying??

I would say locking them out of coop might work, except for the reaction you saw when you tried that before. They won't like being in a cage either, but at least they'd be less likely to hurt themselves and would settle down quicker(tho that might take a day or so).
2 or 3 broody cages might be the best(if most annoying) solution, but they really need to stay in them overnight so may need to be put somewhere they have night time predator protection instead of just leaving them in your run.
Still thinking but that's all for now.
When I purchase them I was told they were one year old, so I guess they’ve been laying for a few months. When I first brought them home they were bulletproof, three eggs a day every day. Then the Gold one stopped laying and exhibited signs of what I thought was broodiness. The Silvers were not far behind…

Thanks again.

When I purchase them I was told they were one year old, so I guess they’ve been laying for a few months. When I first brought them home they were bulletproof, three eggs a day every day. Then the Gold one stopped laying and exhibited signs of what I thought was broodiness. The Silvers were not far behind…

Thanks again.
When did you bring them home and when did the gold stop laying?

Purchased on 7 October, the Gold stopped laying about a week ago.

I just pushed them out of the coop and they are behaving like normal chickens again, eating, drinking and dusting. Only one egg between the three of them in three days though…

Curiously, it has purple specs on it. I’ve never seen this before. Does this tell you anything?

Cheers

Attachments

• C0C5578A-F7FC-428D-B480-C4970C338531.jpeg
    C0C5578A-F7FC-428D-B480-C4970C338531.jpeg
    434.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Another thing I’ve just noticed, is that the Silvers appear to have ‘runny noses’. I’m not sure if this is just a coincidence or a function of them having just drunk a bucket load of water…

Do I sound like a neurotic, hyper anxious parent? ;)

Attachments

• 8634FFFD-2822-411C-BCBF-CF3AD5FBCF03.jpeg
    8634FFFD-2822-411C-BCBF-CF3AD5FBCF03.jpeg
    633.2 KB · Views: 8
Probably nothing to worry about but watch them for something like a deep cough and watery eyes. May be a respiratory infection. Don't be alarmed but watch them closely.

Speckles looks like excess bloom, nothing to worry about.
'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few of which are a 'problem'.
Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

Runny nose....could be from drinking.

Back
Top Bottom