New layer: Yolk smeared on egg exterior

LER23

Songster
Aug 21, 2023
Willamette Valley, Oregon
Here is the full story:
Two of my 21 wk old chickens are olive eggers. One, Alvira, started laying a week ago, one a day like clockwork and the other, Lena, has been curtseying consistently. 4 days ago I heard the egg song so went to the coop ro check. I thought Alvira had laid an egg, as she was standing in front of the nest box, on its "landing". No egg in the nest box. Then I saw, on a on a ledge below the landing, fresh yolk. I found no evidence of eggshell anywhere, and a bit more yolk further on. I was very concerned, wondering if an egg could break inside a chicken. I decided to wait and see if one of my girls was in distress....nope, all chickens behaved normally. Late in the same day, Alvira laid an egg, so I have watched Lena carefully and she acts perfectly normal, no distress or odd behavior. Fast forward to today, and I hear the egg song midafternoon. I go out to the coop and Alvira is on the landing in front of the nest box, but no egg in the box. I looked around...nothing. Alvira subsequently went into the nest box. In a little bit I came back and I looked around again, and in a corner, in a secluded area on the floor of the coop, was a small egg. Alvira was still nesting, and the egg was cold, with dried yolk on the outside. The egg was normal inside except for very little white, and the shell was nice and strong. So I am not sure if this was the egg that the egg song was about, or if there is another egg hiding somewhere, but I know it wasn't Alvira's. I did feed this egg to my dogs, just because I do put a little treat in their dry food occasionally. Alvira did lay her egg shortly after.
The attached pics are of the shell with the dried-on yolk. The shell is quite strong.
Here are my questions:
Do first time layers sometimes pass an egg with no shell? Could this second egg I found, that had yolk on the outside, have caused some of the yolk from a couple of days ago to completely pass? I am baffled, but all chickens are fine. Should I just continue to watch them, or is there anything I should be doing proactively?

A final note:
Just today one of them (or more, as they come from behind so I don't see who is doing it) has started pecking my legs, lol. That could be because I also cleaned out the coup a bit today, and rearranged some things. Maybe that made them mad. My changes were to jury rig another nest box-they do have a second nest box, but it has been completely ignored, I think because is too small.

Attachments

• 17010452288416621876659238226458.jpg
    17010452288416621876659238226458.jpg
    431.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 17010452555768698398422506147086.jpg
    17010452555768698398422506147086.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 11
  • 17010452857501147574157457386683.jpg
    17010452857501147574157457386683.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 11
Yes, to everything you said. New layers will lay just about anywhere but where they are supposed to as I don't think half the time they realize what they're doing at first.

Yes, an egg without a shell or a paper-thin shell happens occasionally too with new layers. Generally, that's only one or two of their first eggs, then the rest are normal.

I just make sure to set a dish of oyster shell out for them. They will eat some if they need it, and ignore it if they don't. I have a rooster that for whatever reason likes it too and usually they don't touch it. He's old so I don't care. Maybe his old bones need it.

I'd give your hens a day or two to get this egg-laying thing down. ☺️

Ditto . I have had them peck my legs as well, they really like toenail polish!!!
First layers take weeks to use nest boxes. Sometimes I just pick up eggs that they've laid in the wrong place and place them in box. Other times I block off the "other" place so they will get the hint.
My pullet was laying under my raised coop (which took crawling through run poop, molting feathers, etc. to retrieve) My dear hubby said we'll wait a couple of days to see! Then she chose to lay under poop tray in a dark corner of coop in bedding. Well at least I don't have to crawl so I've laid vinyl coated closet racks to block off where I can't reach and she still is laying there. Most of my hens lay in one box even though there are 3 boxes. No rhyme or reason they just do.

Back
Top Bottom