Bizarre gander behavior

Goosey Girl

Songster
Dec 31, 2021
2 ganders (both 9 months old and related) chase away all female geese except one. The 2 ganders and 1 goose are an inseparable group.

The other 3 female geese are now in a different, adjoining enclosure because they are scared of the males that now charge the fence divider (necks down and hissing) to intimidate them.

Is this normal for geese? I know they are young, but it seems wierd with all the raging hormones; the males have no interest in any other goose. There is no aggression between the ganders and they equally show their affection to the chosen goose.

Normal.

Flock dynamics are hard to predict, geese are such individuals.

Bonding into a group of three is fairly common, that group doesn’t necesarily have to be two females to one male, it can be anything, it just depends on who wants to be with who.
I currently have a group of two males and one female also.
Thanks, good to know my geese aren't abnormal!!!
It makes sense. Just amazing how a group can be great buddies for weeks then one day they ostracize a member goose, hissing and chasing her away.

Hoping once breeding season is over, they get back to being one big happy flock!😌
I wonder if you have put one of the ganders in with the females away from the other gander and female to see how he would act?
Currently have the 2 ganders with the favored goose in a pen by themselves. The other 3 geese are happy on their side of the fence. Throughout the day the ganders will charge the divider to get the geese to run. Lately, these geese don't even flinch and know they are safe.

I take them out for 'field trips' at least once a day and they walk around the yard while I'm doing chores. The dynamic is not as stressed, but the ill-favored geese stay a safe distance from the trio.

They are all still young, 9 months old, so rather than take a chance with one getting seriously hurt, they are 2 separate penned groups for the foreseeable future.

Two mornings ago after they were all in the goose house together for the night, my one goose had blood on the side of her head and there was a small pile of bloody pine shavings in the house. One of the ganders had attacked her in the night. That sealed the deal.

I used to be concerned about predators like fox and hawks, so I have an electric fence covered with bird netting. Never thought I'd have to protect them from themselves! Definitely keeps me busy.

Back
Top Bottom