Bizarre pattern in new layer

Chickaddict44

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 3, 2014
I have a 6 month old cream legbar that has been laying for about 4 weeks. The pullets are on free range layer feed, free choice oyster shell and treats of(not always daily and not all at the same time) meal worms, watermelon, cantaloupe, scrambled eggs with shells, yogurt, sunflower seeds, grapes and a few other fruit and veggies. They are able to free range but have been hanging around under shrubs due to heat. Anyways my concern is about every 3 days she acts like she wants to lay but can't. She goes in the nest box for hours without laying then comes out sometimes acting normal...other times puffing up and looking lethargic. Today worried me because she was really not herself. I gave her a warm epsom soak and put her in a kennel with some scrambled eggs with shell, yogurt and layer feed and water of course. I have noticed a few rubber eggs in the coop as of late but I have 11 pullets in there and they are all just starting to lay. Otherwise the 5 that are laying are making nice hard shelled eggs. Any advice on what to add? Is this common in cream legbars? I've never had an issue with any of my hens like this so it's kind of got me baffled and worried something is wrong with her. Thanks.

It has been a lot warmer but today was 23 degrees celsius or around mid 70's F. The coop is very ventilated...it's a 10 x12 shed type with two windows and a man door that is propped open daily. She is only 6 months old so didn't really consider going broody. Cream Legbar is a new breed to me so not sure if that could be something to consider.

I have a 6 month old cream legbar that has been laying for about 4 weeks. The pullets are on free range layer feed, free choice oyster shell and treats of(not always daily and not all at the same time) meal worms, watermelon, cantaloupe, scrambled eggs with shells, yogurt, sunflower seeds, grapes and a few other fruit and veggies. They are able to free range but have been hanging around under shrubs due to heat. Anyways my concern is about every 3 days she acts like she wants to lay but can't. She goes in the nest box for hours without laying then comes out sometimes acting normal...other times puffing up and looking lethargic. Today worried me because she was really not herself. I gave her a warm epsom soak and put her in a kennel with some scrambled eggs with shell, yogurt and layer feed and water of course. I have noticed a few rubber eggs in the coop as of late but I have 11 pullets in there and they are all just starting to lay. Otherwise the 5 that are laying are making nice hard shelled eggs. Any advice on what to add? Is this common in cream legbars? I've never had an issue with any of my hens like this so it's kind of got me baffled and worried something is wrong with her. Thanks.
Hello,
Even though it's been so long, I'm wondering what the outcome of this search was for you. Reason I ask, is that I'm experiencing the same issue with some of my pullets. They're newly laying, and behave distressed, looking for something- a place to lay, the ability to get comfortable, privacy. My roommate brought two inside to lay- the only competely quiet/private environment- and now they frantically try to get inside when they're ready.

That's a behavior I guess we'll have to redirect, but for now, the other learners are of concern, similar to your case in 2015.

They go into boxes for awhile, come back out... nothing. Pace, the others seem to bother them, squawk, repeat. Any advice from your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom