Black and White Spangled Hamburg 7.5 weeks old.

RcoM

Songster
Dec 15, 2023
Trying to work out if one of my 2 B&W spangled Hamburg chicks is a rooster? Behaviour is somewhat rooster like- or maybe a bossy hen? Colouring is different in back feathers…
I only read about saddle feathers etc recently- here of course at BYC!
Could someone who owns Hamburgs please comment? The first photo is the sibling pair. The hen is foraging but (he?) looks up.
All other photos are of the young bird in question; experience may help with the feather shape; I have read but can’t tell the difference.
In the last one, he/she preens which shows up the back feathers better. I have always thought it was a boy from early on.
Please help if you can?
Thank you from RCoM
(Crazy chicken lady Kurrajong NSW)

Attachments

• IMG_1220.jpeg
    IMG_1220.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1221.jpeg
    IMG_1221.jpeg
    654.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    724.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1223.jpeg
    IMG_1223.jpeg
    628.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1226.jpeg
    IMG_1226.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1231.jpeg
    IMG_1231.jpeg
    599.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1232.jpeg
    IMG_1232.jpeg
    673.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1236.jpeg
    IMG_1236.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
I lean toward it being a pullet, but not 100% at this point. Keep an eye on the comb and wattles. Growth spurts and red coloring in those areas within the next few weeks means it is a cockerel. If not, a pullet. The thin, pointy saddle feathers of males don't usually start coming in until 12 weeks, so you can't go by that yet.

Happy Christmas, guys!!
Ahh ok. I’ll be thrilled if it’s a pullet. Compared to sister, has bigger comb and thicker legs. And bossy temperament. Hopefully just individual differences rather than gender based. I can put 2 shots up of them, 2 side by side? Some suspicious black softer longer feathering starting on his saddle area. Just a touch though

Happy Christmas, guys!!
Ahh ok. I’ll be thrilled if it’s a pullet. Compared to sister, has bigger comb and thicker legs. And bossy temperament. Hopefully just individual differences rather than gender based. I can put 2 shots up of them, 2 side by side? Some suspicious black softer longer feathering starting on his saddle area. Just a touch though
Merry Christmas! Time will tell, but I hope you get your pullet.

Back
Top Bottom