Black australorp, average age for laying? *update*

Got my Aussie from MPC she was only one of two survivors due to them sending runts and neglecting to put the heat pack in the box..anyway she is 28 weeks and nothing yet.. She is my only one not laying. Hmmm. She is healthy and robust as far as I can see. Very skittish tho and not at all friendly..
sad.png

Quote:
She gets to free range, she has access to lots of produce, twice a week she gets yogurt (that she has to share with the other girls), once a week they get some type of cooked pasta (small bowl). Then they get free access of layer feed and oyster shell.

they get layer feed and they aren't laying yet? PLUS oyster shell? They don't need oyster shell if they have layer feed...they get enough calcium in the feed. If they aren't laying yet, and this is my opinion, I don't think they should be getting layer feed yet.

I have 11 girls that are laying at 27 weeks and 3 that are 17 weeks...I am still on grower/starter with oyster shell on the side..I won't switch them over to layer feed till ALL the girls are laying...

My four will be 23 weeks this sat, no eggs yet. One has had bright red combs and wattles for awhile the others are starting to catch up. Only ones laying are my RIR. Soon I hope!

Quote:
I have three that are laying and were being fed layena (just like my black australorp) by their previous owner, oyster shell is being offered because one of them (my sex link) has horribly soft shells.

Ooh, interesting thread! I have two Australorps and am concerned cos I got my first 2 eggs a couple of weeks ago but then nothing since. They hatched April 26 so maybe they're still a bit young... Good luck with your eggs, I hope I get some soon too!

Back
Top Bottom