Black australorp, average age for laying? *update*

stone_family3

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 11, 2011
New York
I got one from a guy (he showed me the papers) she is from Meyer Hatchery, hatched January 26th, 2011. No eggs. She had coop mates that were laying, there were eggs everywhere, one even laid when I was there. However I've had her for 3 weeks and she's not moulting, eating well and drinking well.

She's sweet, but I'd really like an egg from her.

Well today Soleil was acting kinda strange didn't want to come out of the rafters (there is a small platform up there) so I let her be, went out 4 hours later and found this. I'm so proud of her! Now she's very quite not screaming at me like she has been for the past few weeks.

IMAG1167 by StonesChickens, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mine (black australorps as well) hatched Jan 21 and have all been laying since the beginning of June!

Aussie's generally lay between 6 and 7 months old. If yours is not laying by now, it is possible she has health problems preventing her from laying. It is also possible that the person you got her from has his dates mixed up and she is younger than he says she is. Good luck!
smile.png

I agree that the dates could be mixed up and she may be younger. It is also possible that she has not settled in to her new coop. If this is the case try changing up the food, giving her more room to move around and free range, if possible and try giving her some treats.

How does she get along with the other hens? If they aren't getting along it may be possible that she is simply stressed and trying to claim her spot in the pecking order

Quote:
Well as I stated in the OP, he had the paper work and has had no chicks hatched. She's settled in great. There was only one other hen in the coop when she was introduced, a white cochin, who is smaller then her. White Cochin is the leader and she's her 2nd hand gal. I'm feeding her the same food the previous owner was (purina layena) and she gets treats daily. Since getting her there have been some others introduced, but all have settled in with no pecking or attacking.

I have 3 BA's one started laying around 20 weeks the second around 23 weeks and I am still waiting on my third to lay for me. She is 26 weeks old getting redder in the face so I am hoping any day now.

Back
Top Bottom