Black Australorp babies

Carefresh is a recycled paper product, but it is not harmful in the short run. The harm in carefresh is that it is less absorbent and can harbor bacteria growth slightly faster than pine. How much faster? That's up for debate! It's not a bad choice. That said, if you can clean often enough it should be okay! I am not sure of any implications if chicks ingest any. The texture of carefresh is sort of like... well. Like cheap paper towels, wadded up into little balls, after it gets wet. It's slightly soft, but big chunks of paper fiber. It's quite low in dust (comparatively). It does get pretty expensive compared to pine flakes, though!

The softwood bedding should be okay! Depending on the size of the shavings it may be less or more dusty for you than pine 'flakes'... it's hard to tell from the photo.

No matter what you go with, I wish you the best!
smile.png

I would switch to pine shavings. With that many chicks in that tub you're going to need something to mask the smell of the poo. You can get the big bag @ TSC or Wally World for about $7 and it will last a really long time.

BTW my Australorp, C.C., is the most calm, sweet, loving chicken I have. (yes-she's my fav) She loves to be held and snuggle.

I hope your chicks turn out to be just as sweet.
smile.png

The BAs are the best momma hens in my mixed flock, and the gentlest of my chickens. They would be my favorites, except that I got some Plymouth Rocks last year, and I really admire their inquisitiveness and boldness.

A healthy adult BA in the shining summer sun is a sight to behold--especially the rooster. The light picks up an iridescent glossy green in his black feathers, and the bright red comb sets off handsomely against the deep black. Truly a beautiful sight.

Okay, the chicks are now resting comfortably on a bed of aspen shavings. To be honest, I am reading so many different opinions about pine, that I was afraid to try them. The aspen are a bit higher, but that hopefully will not be a problem.

Cute babies....I LOVE my BA! So friendly....I think I see a roo in the first pic...the one with the little comb with his neck stretched out. That is how mine looked at that age...by 3 weeks he already had his red comb and wattles
smile.png

I just picked up my babies Tuesday and I am not getting anything done as all I want to do is watch them and take photos of them! Geesh - I need to get a life! LOL!
big_smile.png
Here are some pictures of my sweeties!

33445_ba_chicks_1.jpg

33445_ba_baby_2.jpg

33445_ba_baby_1.jpg

33445_ba_babies.jpg

I hope they turn out to be the best hens ever!

Quote:
When we have baby chicks in the house we are supposed to something besides watch them????????
hu.gif
How would we know when they did something really cute if we are not glued to the brooder???

Your chicks are adorable! Mt BA's are nine weeks old and I already miss their days of fuzzy butt cuteness.

Back
Top Bottom