Black Australorp Buff Orpington Cross

Pics

LD Jackson

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
Roland, OK
I have been thinking about something and haven't seemed to be able to find a definitive answer. If I decided to cross a Black Australorp rooster and a Buff Orpington hen, would the chicks be able to be sexed shortly after birth, due to their coloring?

Black Australorp rooster x Buff Orpington hen = NOT a sexlink
Buff Orpington rooster x Black Australorp hen = IS a sexlink. Males mature to be white/black, females mature to be buff/black. However, the newly hatched chicks are hard to sex by color until their feathers start coming in.

Check out this BYC page for a TON of info about making sexlinks.
smile.png
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Mr
. Adkerson probably doesn't include the Buff Orpington x Black Australorp cross on his page because they are not a true sexlink, since the chicks can not be sexed by color at hatch.

114491_dscn0603.jpg
[/img]

Exactly what you get. This hen comes from a BA hen and a BO rooster. The males of the hatch were white and black. Very lovely birds. All the girls are black and gold as the photo illustrates. Sorry, I didn't manage to photograph the roosters. I gave them away to a neighbor far out of town.

I dont know about this way but my dad had some black austrolop hens with a buff orpington rooster ..and the roosters were silver marked and the hens gold...then grown the hens were like a black sex link with gold hackles ..the roo 's had silver hackles..

I could determine the gender of my BOxBA at hatch. The pullets had a gold chin whereas the roos we almost entirely black.

They are now 3 weeks old and very diferent in coloration.

all of the blackish ones are the crosses the others are cream legbars

We had an accidental cross this year of a Buff Orpington Bantam and a Black Orpington Bantam. Here is what it looks like. Its going to be dumplins in a few days, unless someone wants it. PM me if you do.

47716_project_orp_1.jpg

47716_project_orp_2.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom