Black Australorp chicks died randomly

patrioticreborn

Hatching
Jun 12, 2022
I bought 4 black australorps on Friday. They have been doing fine until today, when one flopped down and looked like it had trouble breathing and gasping for air. We picked her up, attempting to give her more heat. She died about 1 minute later after twitching. 5 minutes later, another one had their foot in the water and had no movement. I picked it up and it was floppy. We are now down 2 chicks, should I be worried about the other 2? It’s weird because 2 chicks were yellow and other 2 was black, and only the black ones died. If you could please help me that’d be great

Can you tell us where you got the chicks? Were they from a feed store or other? I would get them drinking water with electrolytes or warm gatorade. Do they have any poop stuck on their bottoms? What temp under the heat lamp? That sounds pretty hot. Sorry for your loss.

Can you tell us where you got the chicks? Were they from a feed store or other? I would get them drinking water with electrolytes or warm gatorade. Do they have any poop stuck on their bottoms? What temp under the heat lamp? That sounds pretty hot. Sorry for your loss.
I got them from TSC. We’ve been checking, we found no poopy butt and they pooped also when they died. The temperature was a steady 95.

The remaining chicks are also chirping loudly, should I be worried about that

95 is too warm for them, especially older ones. Can you turn it down to between 85 and 90, and make sure they can get to a cooler spot in the brooder? Decrease the temp each week by 5 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom