Black Australorp Difference between cock and hen

I see that my Australorp isn't going to lay for a while. She is already 19 weeks old too. wow. She has no comb and almost no wattles.

But... My RIR started crowing this am!
lol.png

I just studied my birds tonight and looked them over real good and I do think they are all hens. They all have rounded tail feathers and their overall deamanor and body shape really points to them being hens in my opinion.

Thought I'd add a couple pictures to give some more visual to this...

This is a pullet (on the left) and a Roo (on the right) - they are about five weeks old here.

IMG_1133.jpg

This picture shows my Roo in front - they are about 3 1/2 months old here.

IMG_1067.jpg

I will ask a stupid question too..
do the rooster have a curved nail on the back of their leg above their normal toes?
One of my Australorps does and one does not and they are only maybe 6-8 weeks old
The feed store will take the rooster because our town doesn't allow them, only 3 hens.

Carol

My australorps dont have combs like that either, but I would lean toward girls. They have the tails and legs like my girls and they dont ahve saddle feathers that I can see. At that age the saddle feathers would be really noticable by now. My girls are nearly 17 weeks old now, and they dont ahve any comb or wattle growth......of course Im thinking they were crossed with JGs.
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom