Black Australorp Eggs not large

FloridaGal

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
My black Australorp is about six months old. She has been laying for about 3-4 weeks, almost every day. Her eggs are a light tan color, and not very large, mostly the size of a small to medium egg. Is this normal? I keep reading that they lay large brown eggs.
Thanks.
Julie

welcome-byc.gif
Yes, it can take a while for their eggs to reach normal size, nothing to worry about! Glad you joined the flock!

My black Australorp is about six months old. She has been laying for about 3-4 weeks, almost every day. Her eggs are a light tan color, and not very large, mostly the size of a small to medium egg. Is this normal? I keep reading that they lay large brown eggs.
Thanks.
Julie
I hope so as mine are the same way. Mine are getting larger but very slightly. They started out the size of a quarter and have got about 10% bigger now after four weeks. However, they are still half the size of large eggs from the store.

On the other hand my duck eggs started out the size of a quail egg, went up to a golf ball and are now huge. Maybe ducks mature faster.

Anyway, good luck with your eggs! I know I love waking up and going on an egg hunt.

Back
Top Bottom