Black Australorp Eggs not large

FloridaGal

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 9, 2012
My black Australorp is about six months old. She has been laying for about 3-4 weeks, almost every day. Her eggs are a light tan color, and not very large, mostly the size of a small to medium egg. Is this normal? I keep reading that they lay large brown eggs.
Thanks.
Julie

RodNTN

Hatchaolic
8 Years
May 22, 2013
The Volunteer State
My Coop
My Coop
welcome-byc.gif
Yes, it can take a while for their eggs to reach normal size, nothing to worry about! Glad you joined the flock!

K813ZRA

Songster
5 Years
Mar 29, 2016
Pennsylvania
My black Australorp is about six months old. She has been laying for about 3-4 weeks, almost every day. Her eggs are a light tan color, and not very large, mostly the size of a small to medium egg. Is this normal? I keep reading that they lay large brown eggs.
Thanks.
Julie
I hope so as mine are the same way. Mine are getting larger but very slightly. They started out the size of a quarter and have got about 10% bigger now after four weeks. However, they are still half the size of large eggs from the store.

On the other hand my duck eggs started out the size of a quail egg, went up to a golf ball and are now huge. Maybe ducks mature faster.

Anyway, good luck with your eggs! I know I love waking up and going on an egg hunt.

Top Bottom