Black Australorp hen is crowing? Hen or late bloomer?

Thank you all for tuning in to this post!! So I guess my next debate is.. do I start over with a new flock of started pullets or slowly expand this flock with more hens. The 2 BA roos crow every morning now at 6am. I don't mind the wake up call... but if 3 or ALL start crowing I don't think our neighbors will enjoy it at much!

Depends on how hard of hearing they are! I raise up my cockrels to butcher every summer. The first season when they all went into the freezer (I didn't hold a roo back that year), my neighbor (the one who used to stand at the end of his driveway and crow back at them. He'd occasionally flap his arms also!) told me that he missed them. They reminded him of his childhood. He doesn't hear that well, so I'm sure they weren't overly loud to him.

How did you end up with 3/4 roos? Where did you buy them? Straight run? Or were they all supposed to be pullets? Pretty birds!

Depends on how hard of hearing they are!  I raise up my cockrels to butcher every summer.  The first season when they all went into the freezer (I didn't hold a roo back that year), my neighbor (the one who used to stand at the end of his driveway and crow back at them.  He'd occasionally flap his arms also!) told me that he missed them.  They reminded him of his childhood.  He doesn't hear that well, so I'm sure they weren't overly loud to him.  

How did you end up with 3/4 roos?  Where did you buy them?  Straight run?  Or were they all supposed to be pullets?  Pretty birds!  

Thank you!! The BA''s were straight run from tractor supply, and the white leghorn and Amerucauna was from family farm and hobby--suppose to be pullets. I hope they are because I'd really like to eat some eggs after all the hard work raising them so far! Our neighborwas raised on a chicken farm but from our talks about it don't think they bring back pleasant memories for him! Haha. Thank you all for your thoughts! They are 14 weeks old, so I guess we will find out in time if the Ameracauna is a rooster or I get a beautiful blue egg!!

Thank you all for tuning in to this post!! So I guess my next debate is.. do I start over with a new flock of started pullets or slowly expand this flock with more hens. The 2 BA roos crow every morning now at 6am. I don't mind the wake up call... but if 3 or ALL start crowing I don't think our neighbors will enjoy it at much!

How many chickens do you want? Are you planning to keep all 3 males? If so you will need around 30 more pullets.

How many chickens do you want? Are you planning to keep all 3 males? If so you will need around 30 more pullets.

Oh my! I didn't realize the ratio was 1:10. I've seen so many flocks with several roosters to their few hens. I never wanted more than one roo regardless so it looks like that solves that!!! I don't think my husband would like 30 of them free ranging our property! Thank you for your info, so appreciated!!

Man I thought I'd be enjoying 4 egg's a day... atleast 3 when the one BA comb started getting so large. Still holding out hope for the white leghorn, but at the rate we are going here my luck will be a cockerel!!!

Oh my! I didn't realize the ratio was 1:10. I've seen so many flocks with several roosters to their few hens. I never wanted more than one roo regardless so it looks like that solves that!!! I don't think my husband would like 30 of them free ranging our property! Thank you for your info, so appreciated!!
That ratio is what large breeders use for optimal fertility. It really isn't necessarily accurate for backyard chicken keepers. Some roosters can easily cover 20+ hens, some flocks only have a rooster and a few hens and do very well. That being said, though, you will most likely either have to build a bachelor coop for your cockerels, or remove at least two of them. There is such a thing as too many roosters, and they will overbreed and stress out your one hen - possibly causing damage. I'd consider replacing all of those boys with a few more pullets, myself. Maybe keep one, but definitely not all if you're not going to separate from the leghorn. .

Back
Top Bottom