Black Australorp, Hen or Roo

pengimama

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
Irwin, OH
I am a relatively new chicken owner and need help identifying the sex of two of my black australorps. Sadly my favorite is one of the ones in question so I am praying you can tell me that my Pengi is a hen!! I can not keep a rooster where I live.
sad.png
They are just short of 4 mths old.

Pengi
IMG00041-20110602-0925.jpg

205689_10150162861207181_707747180_7258814_537776_n.jpg

IMG00034-20110602-0923.jpg

Raven
IMG00069-20110602-0944.jpg

IMG00056-20110602-0929.jpg

Raven isn't very friendly so it was harder to get pictures. My chickens are spoiled rotten as you can tell by the pic of Pengi watching me play games but for some reason Raven just never wanted to be friends with the humans LOL

Hopefully you can help me!!

So are the first 3 pics of the first BA and the last 3 pics of the second BA? If that is the case then I think you have rooster and pullet. The middle pic definitely looks like a rooster. The first 2 and last two look like pullets to me but I can't really see their feathers all that well because they're black.

Last edited:
OK,
hmm.png
I don't know, they may both be pullets. P.S. I got my math wrong about how many pics there were
lol.png

Last edited:
When did they develop their combs and wattles? How did they feather? The same as your others? I have a BA roo that started growing his comb/wattles at 4 weeks (see my avatar for him at 6 wks). He also was REALLY slow to get his feathers compared to the other girls in my flock. His comb and wattles look like yours now and he is only 9 weeks. If they only recently developed their combs/wattles and they feathered the same, they might still be girls....maybe....I am new to chickens too, but from what I have read and experienced with my BAs (I have a 6 week old pullet that has NO comb or wattles and nicely feathered), the boys are very obvious early on.

Good luck....I know this gender guessing can be frustrating!

Thank you for the welcome
smile.png
Out of all of the chickens (I currently have 6. 1 Golden Comet, 2 White Rocks, and 3 Black Australorps), Pengi is my favorite. It will break my heart to have to get rid of him. LOL He's literally sitting on the couch watching TV as I type.

Pengi and Raven both developed faster than the other chickens and I honestly assumed that they were older from the beginning. Don't know if this will help but this is Pengi at a mth and a half.
PengiMthandahalf.jpg

and this is at 10 days
200789_10150113444927181_707747180_7038576_1816246_n.jpg

Hmmmm....interesting....she seems to be completely feathered at 6 weeks in that picture, but has a comb and wattles like mine did at 6 weeks. When I posted a picture of mine at 6 weeks, the replies were all DEFINITE roo. I was told that pullets don't get them that early. I now have a 6 week old BA pullet and she only has a small yellow comb. But seeing yours at 16 weeks, they still look look like girls to me. Sorry....I have probably only confused your more...hopefully someone with more experience can help us both out
smile.png

Not sure about Pengi. But I think Raven is a roo. Look at the pointy feathers around it's neck, and the size of those feet and legs!

I had 5 Australorps and they were really hard to tell apart, and when I put their pictures on here at about 12 weeks maybe everyone thought they were all pullets or a roo and the rest pullets. Turned out I had 4 roos and 1 hen. It's really hard to tell to look at them, and it's even harder looking at pictures I think.

Here's a pic of my rooster, Lucky Jim at about 4 - 5 months.

59393_lucky_jim_nov_2010.jpg

Hopefully someone who is better at this then me will be along shortly:)

Back
Top Bottom