Black Australorp, hen or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by whambam, Jul 25, 2013.

1. whambam

whambam In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    *Edited to add* now that i look at other threads of similar aged australorps im happy to believe she's just a healthy girl! i found other threads where 12 weekers looked MUCH more rooster like. still, take a look just in case. These are my first chickens and admittedly I don't know too much on early gender stuff. I know I should get better photos of the bird's back, but I'm pulling from what I've of my taken already in passing, just to take pictures, not to try to see if it's a boy or a girl. I've had these chickens for 5 weeks. I bought them at just about 7 and now they are 12 weeks. I have golden comets, clearly girls. But of my 4 Black Australorp there is just one that I told my husband, 3 weeks ago, may end up being a rooster. I don't know much about it, but the main think i noticed was the comb, it was darker and more red. I couldnt tell if it was bigger, maybe just slightly? But his/her comb was red before the others. Now they all look very similar. However I can say I have noticed a few things, in pictures, this one chicken has a redder cheek than the other girls. The other thing, although still shy, this chicken has paired up with the more dominant golden comet i had, and they seem to be the first two to check things out etc. I'll need to take a better look. And get better pics. Is it normal for a hen to have a redder comb earlier than others? Or is that a sure sign of a roo? chicken in question on the right. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] between the two goldens (you can maybe see a bigger can comb that the other to the left)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  2. Just an early maturer hen ! :)

3. whambam

whambam In the Brooder

Jun 24, 2013
    Southwest
    Yay thanks! I was re-worried there for a sec

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by